Re: embroidering on a sportswear shirt

Cheryl Paul

Roberta in Fl,

I don’t have a 500E but a 15000 and S9. The 15000 has the quilting hoop which called the SQ22 hoop meaning that it is 220 mm X 220 mm (8.66" X 8.66”) - nice size. I haven’t used the hoop often for doing a project that requires many hooping but I have a few times. The magnets jumped off, of course, but I stopped and put them on again. However, it was never all of them but sometimes at least 2. When this happened, I’d put it back on and sometimes it jumped off again and again. This was extremely frustrating and then I though, “what the heck, I try to just carry on without it. The most guilty magnet was the upper left one and I found that it really didn’t change anything, even though it was a terrifying thought that I might have to take out stitching - Un-sewing is never fun. The first quilt I did was 7 years ago when my son’s last baby boy was born - in this quilt the design jumped out of alignment either to left or right and I didn’t notice until the design was complete. I may have been interrupted and had to shut the project down to be completed later - can’t remember. I was upset at the time but just carried on without fixing it. When the quilt was finished I couldn’t find the culprit block, so you see how sometimes it might not matter that it’s not absolutely perfect. That young man was a baby then and wouldn’t have known, his mother was elated that Grandma produced something for her 4th baby that was new and well Daddy figures his Mom is awesome and makes things for his children and watches over them and still does.

What I’m trying to tell you is “give the machine a chance” and “practice, practice, practice”. Things might not always work out the way they’re planned but we can’t give up. We do save hundreds of dollars by doing it ourselves and it is OURS, warts and all and we should be very proud of what we’ve accomplished.

Having said all that, the older brother age almost 13, has been with Grandma making his own birthday present - YES ANOTHER QUILT. This went to the long arm quilter in my neighbourhhood as it is bigger than I want to tackle and the quilting & fabrics are my contribution to his gift. I cut all the squares, he sashed them and sewed everyone and I have to tell you that he sews an awesome 1/4” seam allowance consistently. We had very few un-sewing times in the quilt. The funniest thing that happened on the first day, was that the tension was amuck on my S9 using the HP2 system and none of us noticed. Thankfully it was only 4 blocks and we didn’t have time to sew the individual blocks together. I noticed it the next week when we were sewing again. Needless to say we pulled that loose thread out and started over. I put him on my M7 and worked on the S9 until I got it figured out - I didn’t need a repair bill. The machine wasn’t full of lint, but the feed dogs were - how I forgot those when I last cleaned lint from the bobbin area, I don’t know. It’s something that I won’t forget again any time soon.

Just to add a little more bragging to this wonderful family (and I have 3 girls with 9 more grandchildren) that the girls aged 15½ and almost 10 are already very good seamstresses.

Cheryl - Saskatoon