Re: Hope you and Diane are safe

Sharleen Brett

We are from Texas (DFW area) but have lived in SC for almost 2 years now. Would you believe we moved here to get away from the heat?! We have lots of family & friends in the DFW area, Austin, & Lubbock. They seem to be doing pretty well so far, but my heart goes out to everyone in Texas. Prayers are being sent your way . . .

Sharleen Brett

On Feb 17, 2021, at 9:52 PM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

And unfortunately it is not over yet...as things are starting to thaw, the pipe breaks are causing water shortages and some areas are seeing water boiling requirements.

Pixey (who is about 180 miles south of Jim and Diane in Texas and has been dealing with rolling outages)

On Feb 17, 2021, at 9:35 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Thanks for asking. Yes, we're fine. Our little neighborhood was built in two phases, back in 2005. We're in the first one, which is on the same electric leg as a 24 hour Kroger and a Walmart Supercenter. Those have been deemed "essential services", probably because of food in fridges and freezers. So we have had uninterrupted power. All of our 3 sons live within a few miles. The oldest is on a schedule of 30 minutes of power with one hour of blackout. Middle is on rotating blackouts, youngest has had some blackouts but is now on full power. That might be due to someone critically ill in his neighborhood. Texas gets 10% of its power from wind. With the cold that's down to 2%. The rest comes mostly from plants fired by natural gas. However most people's homes are also built to use natural gas, and some of the gas pipelines have frozen, so they can't ramp up. We're keeping the thermostat low and lights off to minimize use, but it's very dire for a lot of people. So far 9 have died, mostly from carbon monoxide as they are trying to get heat in their homes. We've got food, LOTS of quilts, and enough food for at least a week. It hasn't been this cold in Texas in more than 70 years and there were no wind farms then and a lot less people. Once it's over there will likely be a lot of damage from frozen pipes.