When a thread breaks on e500 embroidery machine

Kathy Strabel

Greetings and wishing everyone a better 2021
I am having a problem with thread breaks on a particular project--also getting some of those "loopies".  I will provide as much info as I can so that someone might have a good comment or recommendation without having to write out things I have already tried.  Here goes:

I am embroidering on those 100% cotton tea towels, not the flour sack kind, but the ones that look more like a linen fabric, Made in India, and sold in quilt stores/craft shops all over. Towels are machine washed, dried and lightly ironed, stabilized and hooped properly.

The design I am using is a pair of designs digitized by the same person and purchased from a large and trusted online source. One is a rooster, the other is a hen and a chick, in a very simple redwork-type of format. One color throughout.  The rooster one gave me a bit of trouble in the form of a couple small bird nests on the test stitchout, but the stitching on the "good" piece (tea towel) went beautifully.

I started this project with a new needle, in my preferred type and size  metallic type, size 14. Very much like a topstitch needle, except made for metallic threads. I have used this type and size for a few years and it has always worked very well. I am using the same spool of thread for both designs. It is a Floriani thread that I have used successfully before, though not a brand-new spool.

So now I am doing the hen and chick design; I did not do a test stitchout because it is basically the same design as the rooster--same towel, same thread, checked the upper and lower threading--all fine. Nothing odd about the bobbin area, the spool of thread is mounted correctly and engaged in all the guides from my spool stand to the guides on the machine itself. No changes to tension upper or lower. Same, same, same. About every few hundred stitches, I get a large loop up top, and if I don't catch it immediately, it makes a small bird nest on the back.  If I do catch it immediately, I back up the needle to maybe 30 stitches before the loop formed, and re-stitch. However, it does not appear that the new stitches get a lockstitch--it just seems to start stitching without a lock stitch. And, since I am manually stopping the machine to cut the loop, I don't get any error code showing.  I am concerned that the design will pull out where I have made the repairs. Tea towels get washed a lot!

On this same note, my thread will occasionally slip out of the needle's eye--usually it is when the needle is traveling to a new section. But aren't I supposed to get an error code, and the machine should stop and tell me there is a thread break? I do not see anything on this in the Instruction Book.   My brain is foggy on this---I may be confusing this with my previous machine of another brand???  I don't mean this happens occasionally with this particular project, I mean overall occasionally it happens.

I last cleaned and oiled my e500 about 10 days ago.  Reassembled correctly and no problems. For luck, I replaced the new needle I used yesterday when I started this project, with another brand new needle. Still getting the loopies. I always use the lower stitch speed of 400SPM.  I am stumped because the companion piece stitched out quite nicely, but the hen design just is not working well. The only difference is the design itself, all other things are the same. Oh, the hen design is not appreciably more fancy than the rooster one--no lines of jerky satin stitches, etc.

So, I hope I have provided enough info--maybe too much??    Comments welcome.
Happy NEW  Year!!!   Kathy S.   Camas WA