Re: WiFi

Jim Stutsman

WiFi problems are super difficult to solve over the phone. I doubt you are being ignored, but things in the NYC - NJ area are in turmoil right now with all the new COVID restrictions, and that’s likely why you have not heard anything. Since your machine has not had any problems up to now, it’s almost certainly not a machine problem, or even the configuration of the computer. The first, and simplest, thing to try is to simply restart the router. Unplug it, count to 10, then plug in again. This will refresh the software inside and reconnect everything. It’s not unusual for a router to lose one device, while still working with others.

If that doesn’t work it might be a signal problem. Where I live every house has wireless Internet, and our patio homes are very close together. From my computer I can see a dozen different networks in addition to my own. If a neighbor has installed WiFi, and it’s close to the room your machine is in, there might be enough interference to cause problems. Temporarily take the machine into the same room as the router and see if it will connect. If it does then you know it’s a signal problem. If it still doesn’t work then try reconfiguring the network settings on the machine. If it still won’t work, take the machine to your dealer if possible. I think some are operating with limited number of people at a time, all wearing a mask. Try connecting to the dealer’s WiFi. If that works you know it’s either your computer or the network. If your router came from the company that provides your Internet, then you could place a service call.

WiFi is tricky, because it is essentially a radio. The antenna is embedded inside the machine, surrounded by an aluminum chassis. This inhibits the signal quite a bit. Other things in your home can also disrupt it, such as cordless phones (landline, not cellular) and microwaves. It can take time to find and resolve these issues.