From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cheryl Paul
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 9:36 AM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Serger issues

June, I’d play with the one on the right of the screen. Isn’t that what the basic look of a flat lock?

I made a sweatshirt from a Kwik Sew pattern back in the 80’s that had 3 pieces to the front and dolman sleeves, if I remember correctly. I practiced on scraps of fabric, but never did get the hang of it. I eventually just decided to “go for it” and made the sweatshirt. It was NEVER a favourite, but I did wear it and not just around the house, but definitely not to Sunday Church. I used 3 different fabrics, 2 were good quality, but the cream colour was one I had around the house and a lighter weight fleece than the coral and the third was a double knit with an embossed pattern. That may have been the problem as all were not equal. I also used a variegated thread, so things really showed up when it was done. I did pull the fabrics and worked the threads to lay flat and pressed them really well. It was acceptable, but I would never have said it was really good. I think this technique takes a lot of practice, something I don’t have time or patience to do. It seems to be one of those types of projects that one only does once in a while, so that makes it really hard to get it to excellent standards. When we see something in the store and we like it, we need to realize that there are thousands of those items made in a factory that has only a few in their line up of people sewing ALL of them and just “that particular” part of the garment. I think we do a really good job as home sewists to do the excellent job we do with sometimes a single machine to do it ALL. We are lucky when we can have a serger, sewing machine and maybe embroidery with it, and a cover hem to finish the hemlines. We really can’t beat ourselves up over a garment that maybe doesn’t meet OUR perfection - we do our best and maybe need help from time to time from a friend who sees things differently and can do it the way WE like and helps us out to get the results we like. This group is so good as we do our best to help each other.

Breathe and then you just go at again girl - you’ll get this. Let us know what settings you use, but I’d try with that last sample on the right - try loosening the lower looper and tightening the upper looper - just a little at each sample try. I forget what the needle thread tension is suppose to be, but I think you want a normal stitch length or about 2 - 2.5 and maybe the tension needs to be a little tighter too - I’d really test that though as you don’t want to have thread breaks or the needle to break either. I think the lower looper is the key and needs to wrap around to the front and the needle thread.

Cheryl - Saskatoon