How to choose the correct gauge of thread according to your needle

Jim Stutsman

Edited

This helpful video link was sent by one of our international members. She found it very helpful in avoiding skipped stitches or broken needles. I haven't seen this information in any of the videos that commonly float around the sewing web. It's short, to the point, and really helpful. Thanks MaEmilia!

For those not fluent in Spanish (that would be me), the title of the video is the title of this post. It starts with pointing out industrial needles vs. household needles. Next is 3 weights of thread to demonstrate how to check against needle size.

Test 1 - Correct gauge
Pass the thread through the eye of the needle you are going to use. Turn the needle and hold the thread vertically. The needle should go down rotating continuously and evenly.

Test 2 - Very thick thread
Repeat the previous step with the thread you will use. Very thick thread gauge = needle getting stuck. This can cause needle breakage or damage to your machine.

Test 3 - Very thin thread
Very thin thread gauge = needle that slips and falls. This can cause constant thread breakage.