Re: Router ports to open and UDP or TCP?

Ceil J

Thanks, Jim.  At this stage I'm reluctant to do ANYTHING that could mess things up.
The only time I've ever gotten a virus was when my grandchildren were little and my granddaughter liked fairy books.  My daughter and I were on the phone and I was at the computer and wondered if there were any fairy books written for boys.  Now I think for a moment before I google anything. :)
I also only use Windows Defender after suffering for years with paid programs that made my computer run slowly.  That's all I've used for over 10 years now.  As the computer dropped the network when it (mistakenly) didn't feel it was safe, I think I'm okay.  And everything's backed up on two external hard drives and my desktop computer.
I did go to that site and they detected my address.  That's as far as I dared to go. :)
Thanks again,
Ceil

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 5:30 PM Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
If you were in a large office, working on government projects with 100s of others, then a firewall would be important. One of the things that your router does (or at least should do) is shield your network from the legions of miscreants trying to find a way in. If you want to see how well your router is doing check it out here: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

This is NOT a warm and friendly site. It was created by an engineer, so there isn't much decoration. In fact just figuring out how to make it work is your first challenge. Look for the tiny "Proceed" button in the middle of the page. This will give you a better idea how protected you are. The next page has lots of buttons. Just scan all the standard service ports as a baseline. There are a couple of reasons that Windows is so aggressive with their default firewall settings:

  1. Windows is in most of the computers in the world. There are multiple organizations, legal and illegal, looking for ways to break into it. Every time Microsoft issues patches for security (pretty much every Tuesday) the bad guys dissect the fix to find out the vulnerability so they can take advantage of it before the patch is installed. Many people never install them.
  2. Many people don't use a router, and don't know why it's important.. They just plug their computer into the back of the modem, so it's right out there on the web, completely unprotected. The firewall is the only thing standing between them and disaster.