Re: Difficult Choice

Cheryl Paul

Oh Claire,

You need to get to know me. I have the 15000 upgraded to V3, a Skyline S9, a 4120QCD (for going out) and my M7. Yes there are lots of Janome machines that will do the “hand look” stitches, but the M7 is the only one that can make EACH and every stitch slightly different. It’s one of the new features that Janome has and I’m sure it will be included on whatever comes next this fall or next year. It is really cool to see, but like I said previously, I haven’t had the time to try it yet. I’m driving myself crazy sewing disappearing 9-patch quilts.

Now to these quilts: Why I’m going so crazy, is that I love LOTS and lots of colour, so the putting together isn’t hard, but once I make those 9 patches disappear, I’m a little nuts, as I put stuff on the wall, look at it change it around and forget to take a picture before I do this, so you know how it goes from there. That was the first quilt, so the second I decided to modify the disappearing 9 patches and just sew two sides onto a square. That was a little better, but not much, but I have the top at the quilters, so I’m on quilt #3 and went back to the disappearing 9 patch and have decided to just use 2 colours in each block, but still lots of colour - like about 16 maybe more. So far it’s not got me in that crazy zone, but time will tell in the next day or two. I’m also trying to make these quilts “functional” meaning they have to fit a double or queen size bed. The nice thing about this design is that it goes together very quickly and my M7 is so good for getting a good 1/4” seam. That I found difficult when I used the 15000 before the HP foot. I really should learn how to free motion as these little girls are costing me a fortune - it’s a good thing I love them so much. Their parents have NO idea what the fabric costs and definitely not the batting, backing or quilting. I’m not complaining mind you as my kids are worth every penny I spend on them.

In making these 9 patches, I discovered (not that I hadn’t been told or saw a video) that the M7 has “The quilt advisor” and in it is a “9 Patch” selection, but I was to far into the process to use it as it requires 3 pieces - width of fabric sewn together and cross-cut. Now it might work also for just sewing 9 pieces together, but I don’t want to take the time to figure that out now that I have stuff up and ready to sew. I’ll investigate this further while watch TV with my computer on my lap or after this quilt top is put together. It takes a lot of squares to make a top that is 84” X 90” or there abouts.

Susan: You made a good choice and it was wise keeping your 6600 as it probably wouldn’t have given you much on trade - at least that has been my experience.

Must get back to putting those blocks together- this 9 year old had her birthday last week on the 11th so I’m behind already.

Cheryl - Saskatoon