Re: Two Questions, Please

Tony Coley

As a tech those boxes can save a lot of money if your machine must go back to NJ. I ordered an MB4 box with foam insert and it was like $60 shipping from NJ because UPS charged be size, not weight.
As to that hook bottom plate, I keep them on the wall and replace them if I see any needle damage. I generally get 7-10 day service from NJ and 1-2 day service from an after market supplier. I charge the customer $4.99 for the part. At my labor rate I sure couldn’t "polish it out" that cheap.

On May 25, 2020, at 3:21 PM, Carole Hollmann via groups.io <macee55@...> wrote:

Jim and Vikki --

Thanks so much for the good information.  Of course the responses generated more questions on my part.

I just took a good look under the bobbin case.  The case itself doesn't look damaged, but I thought I'd get one anyway.  The white plastic piece under it was scratched in the first few weeks I had the machine (it's now 5+ years old) and "the guy" said he could just buff it out and it would be as good as new.  I think that started me down my path of love/hate relationship with the machine.  I don't think buffing it out was the thing to do and if any other damage was caused at the time, it was not checked.  There is no doubt that it should be replaced now.  What I can't figure out is what could I have done to scratch it?

If they don't have the parts, can you describe what "good long while" might mean?  Weeks?  Months?  I will tell him about ordering those things when I hand the machine over.  If they don't have those things in stock, perhaps they would order immediately and save a little time.  In the meantime, I'm also taking in my ancient Kenmore for service.  I may need to resort to using it. I do not need another new machine as I have machines of various kinds that line two walls.

They do want me to bring in my embroidery unit, foot pedal, and power cord.  I have those things packed and I put labels with my name on EVERYTHING, as I always do.  I've taken it in maybe four times over the 5+ years I've had it (for various reasons) and they haven't lost anything--yet.

At least for now, we are keeping the boxes in the basement.  With all the other stuff to be thrown away or donated, what difference could a couple of boxes make?

Thanks again.

Carole Hollmann

On Sunday, May 24, 2020, 4:35:22 PM EDT, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

If you need a new bobbin case, as well as the white plastic piece that sits under it, there is a good chance that the hook race is damaged. If so, it will cause problems with the new bobbin case. Ask them to check the hook race for needle strikes (Magnifying glass recommended), and to buff them out with the tool that has the part #OILSTONE. Hopefully this will not get you a blank look! There is a chance they don't stock the plastic disc or the tool and will have to order them. That could take a good long while. Note that when you take the machine in for service you do not (and should not) take all the feet & accessories in with it. The more stuff of yours they have, the more likely it is that something will be lost. I used to send EVERYTHING back home except the machine. Foot control was left only if they were having trouble with it.

The only real reason to keep the boxes is to allow for the possibility of the machine having to go to NJ for service.