Re: 1/8 inch top stitching

Cat - N

I don't think it is a silly question at all, but you might think what I do is, because I like the zipper foot for topstitching on edges. I put the foot in a 'good spot' for holding /moving the fabric, then move the needle ti where I want to sew. I can see foot, edge and needle positions, and can get pretty accurate results, even through fabric will wiggle when it wants to.   I also like it for binding, sewing the binding to the back first then topstitching it on the front. The zipper foot rides on the binding and the needle can stitch a smidgen back from the edge.  The 15000 has 91 needle positions, and the 71 needle positions, so more variable than my 100-stitch computerized Kenmore (made by Janome), but I have used the zipper foot for topstitching since I was a kid sewing on a treadle machine. Just my preference.  You have the option with the 15000 of using the cloth guide, too, to help keep things straight. I use it when making baby blankets when I want to topstitch 1 to 1-1/2" from the edge. 

- Cat (FL)

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10.
Warning:  The foregoing message is likely a combination of what I meant to say and words the nice machine liked better.
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2020 8:53 AM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Reply To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] 1/8 inch top stitching

I’m sure this is a silly question, but I’m told over and over to use 1/8 inch top stitch.  I just guess at it and usually wind up with my thread running off or the stitches are too wide.  I have the 15000.  Can anyone give me tips on this or tell me how to set the needle.

Join onlinesewing-janome@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.