Re: Feature on 500e Embroidery-only machine

Pixey

Kathy,
I have only had it happen once or twice  (and due to user error) but I am pretty sure the machine will stop and alert you if there is a thread break.

Given what you are describing, I could suggest a couple of possibilities...

You mention being good quality thread but also Floriani brand.  For some reason, some Janome embroidery machines can be really persnickety about threads and do not like Floriani brand.  Others have no trouble. So I would try a different brand.

Then you mentioned the style of the design and frequency of the shredding.  Given how much the circles and spirals result in pulling the thread in different directions as it goes through the needle and completes the stitch, I would wonder about the possibility of a tiny burr in the eye of the needle.  I would suggest changing the needle and maybe even using a Top Stitch needle with a larger eye.

Pixey

On Mar 7, 2020, at 1:12 PM, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

Greetings----Just a reality check for me here......I do not see any reference to this in the Owner's Manual......does this machine have a feature that alerts you when a thread break happens? I have been doing a new design and getting frequent thread breaks--I have checked/.adjusted the usual things--new needle, tension checks, etc. But those things seem OK. I just get some thread shredding about every 600-700 stitches. I am running my machine as I usually do, at 400SPM.    Am I imagining this, or is the machine supposed to stop stitching and beep when there is a thread break? I am in the same room, and I will hear that dreaded noise that happens when there is a thread break, and there is, indeed a thread break, but the machine just keeps banging that needle up and down. If I was in the next room, it might stitch out the entire color section with no thread!!   I have never experienced so many thread breaks in a design before.  When I do have a thread break, I believe the 500e machine would stop and tell me. But I could be mixing this up with my older embroidery machine of another brand???/  Am I missing something today???  I have not used that older machine for a couple of years for embroidery. It is a great sewing machine, but no more for embroidery. The design is a type which I have never tried before----a bird that is comprised of many concentric circles and spirals. Could it be something about the design itself? I am stitching on a T-shirt, properly hooped and using the plastic type of topping.  I am using threads of good quality--Floriani, Sulky, etc, which I have never had a problem with before.   Any ideas?   I have stopped stitching for now and am going to go to the gym to work off my sewing frustration!!   Thanks, I appreciate any input!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA