Re: Janome 550e

Pixey

You might also check the group archives.  I think someone previously posted a YouTube link that shows someone oiling the 500e and it was very helpful to me to see how the end panels are removed...two of them are a bit finicky.  The first couple of times were pretty nerve wracking, but now I am more comfortable doing it.

Pixey

On Dec 16, 2019, at 10:45 AM, Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

I'm going to jump in here for a comment. Yes, until now most of Janome's non-commercial machines did not require oiling. This was because the parts with metal-on-metal contact are manufactured with a process that embeds oil in the metal. As the machine is used, when friction gets to a certain point the heat will bring the embedded oil to the surface, thereby "self-lubricating" the machine. This process was accompanied by the presumption that home machines would not get an extraordinary amount of use, and would be presented to the dealer for servicing on a regular basis. The dealer could then take care of oiling as needed.

That plan worked pretty well for the 8000, the first Janome consumer machine to do embroidery, and it was also working for the 9000. However when the 10000 came out it was possible to make larger designs, as well as use designs digitized by others. The price of the machine was low enough that a lot of people used it to go into the embroidery business. Running a machine for hours every single day went well beyond the duty cycle that the engineers had planned on. It was further complicated by a drive system that used a shaft in a bushing instead of a ball bearing. Machines started locking up due to lack of oil, and that in turn was destroying the bushing. The repair is dirty, difficult, and time consuming. I did so many of them that I eventually got it down to 30 minutes. This same problem also showed up in the 300E, 350E, 9400, and 9700.

I think with the 500E and later, Janome now realizes that people will use these machines commercially even though they are not sold for that purpose. They can exclude commercial use from the warranty, but it's pretty hard to prove and telling a customer her warranty has been invalidated is not a good strategy for repeat business. So now they are trying to avoid trouble by just coming out and advising the user to oil the machine. This is line with the MB-4 and MB-7 commercial machines which are supposed to be oiled frequently, and come with oil. It's not a big deal, but the key thing about oiling machines is MODERATION. Excess oil is messy and can stain fabric. A single drop is usually ample, with the exception of the wick which can get a bit more IF IT IS DRY. Once a month for daily use is probably also OK, but if you use it only a few times a week you could probably stretch it to 3 months or more. When oiling a shaft (Page 61, items 4, 5, & 6) you can put a drop of oil on a Q-Tip and rub that on the shaft. This will keep the oil from getting all over.