Re: Spanish Hemstitch

Patricia Ward

There was a fringe foot that was used with the 9000, 10000 and 11000 thus making it a 7mm foot.  With it you could make fringe to cut to make flowers or you could use it to sew two edges together to make what is now called a Spanish Hemstitch; I think the old term for this was called fagoting.   You basically would sew the two pieces together just catching the edges of each piece  so that you had an open space of stitches between.

I looked in the Footbook app and it is listed as a 7 mm foot but nothing is listed for a 9 mm foot for the 15000.

Bernina makes an attachment for their machines and it has a special foot and instead of having the bar on the foot where the thread jumps across there is a plastic piece that almost seems to ride in front of the foot to get this open effect.  You can find videos of it on You Tube.

If this info is not correct, I hope Jim or Diane corrects me... but that is how I have perceived the "Spanish Hemstitch"  effect in sewing.

With my 10000 I did make a linen blouse and used the fringe foot to do that open work on the hem of the sleeves.  Quite pretty.

Pat in MD

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 7:15 PM Elizabeth Mccall <mountainlady989@...> wrote:
I've never heard of a Spanish Hemstitch. Can you please describe  it and what & where is is used?
Thanks,Elizabeth a McCall

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 12:30 PM Irene Holland via Groups.Io <ifholland=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have the 15000. Is there a way to create a Spanish hemstitch? I know that some brands have a special foot but I don't see one for the 15000.
TIA
Irene