Re: Bobbin cases

Laura Catto (Brayford)

I use prewounds in my 12000 and 6500 ALL the time with no tension issues. I was also informed the yellow dot bobbin case is for when you doing embroidery and blue dot is good for free motion quilting and red dot for all the rest. I never use Janome thread. I use aurifil and again with no issues. You can get prewounds from a number of places in North American. The janome prewounds are also available in Canada. I use some called ClearTec...work like a charm

Laura
Edmonton, AB

On Apr 8, 2019, at 6:35 AM, Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

I haven’t been able to buy Janome prewounds for a few years.  I was told by Janome UK they are no longer for sale which is a shame because they were brilliant, and I was told to use the normal bobbin case because, the normal one is set to the tension for Janome bobbin thread.  The yellow dot is for non Janome thread.  I used to buy them packaged in the Janome packaging.  If they aren’t in the packaging I would be reluctant to buy them.

As far as the Janome bobbins are concerned, I asked Janome UK if the Janome bobbins have the J on them and was told that only those that are sold loose by a dealer have the J, that is so they can be sure they are selling the correct ones as they aren’t packaged in the normal Janome packaging.  I always buy a pack now so that I can be certain they are genuine and I don’t have to make sure there is a J on loose ones.  I agree that the ones that are sold under a different name as suitable for multi brands are generic so are not quite the right size.  If you are lucky enough to be able to buy the genuine prewound bobbins that’s great, I wish I could, and I have never had one break when I have used it again, I always kept them for normal sewing thread, they should be ok as they are just standard Janome bobbins as I understand it.

One lady I met at a workshop, she was using bright coloured bobbins in her 9900, and the tension was awful, not surprising really they were for husqvarna machines, but she thought they looked pretty in the box!