Re: Thread problem? Photos

Ann Jones

I use quality poly threads and, other than Glide, have not experienced shredding as mentioned. The Glide thread settled part through the reel. I do use a cotton or prewound matching colour (not Glide) in the bobbin. Changing needle size is a good tip. Is there a tension issue? Also try slower sewing speed and see if that helps.
Ann

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail. Get the app

On Sunday, 3 February 2019, 7:13:30 AM ACDT, blue_lak via Groups.Io <blue_lak@...> wrote:

Glide is a tri-lobal polyester, which like other polys will fray/shred with the easiest excuse. Try using a metallic rather than top-stitch needle. The metallic also has a large eye and groove, but it's especially designed to prevent shredding.

If you aren't using one, try putting a thread net over the spool and it will even out the tension and prevent the thread catching against the spool base as it unwinds. You "may" need to adjust tension just slightly for this.

To determine if it's really mechanical/physical or just that particular spool of thread, try another poly thread on sample fabric, batting and backing to see what happens. It can be devilishly difficult to figure out sometimes.
Jan