Using a USB extension cord

Pixey

Jim,

I am thinking to attach a USB extension cord to my embroidery machines to save wear and tear on my USB port, especially my 500E that only has one port. What version extension cables do I need to use? I am not sure what the differences are between original USB, USB 2.0, and USB 3.0. I am certain none of them are 3.0, but was not sure if a USB 2.0 extension cable would be backward compatible and work.

Also does length matter? The shortest I am finding is 3 ft. I know it has been mentioned in the group in the past when we have discussed USB drive sizes that this aspect of the technology on the machines is not that robust.

Thanks,
Pixey