Re: IMac question

Jim Stutsman

The click you heard from wiggling the cord might have just been a small spark as it connected to the power supply, or it could be that the power connector has broken loose from the circuit board.

Regarding MBX V5, as previously mentioned on the list, there is a process for moving an installation from one computer to another, but it requires that the old one be operational. It also sounds like you've already installed it on the new computer, so you have effectively used both activations. I would suggest contacting Janome tech support to see if they can have your activation count reduced by one, given that the old computer is a non-starter. I don't know whether an uninstall would do that or not. Others may chime in on that, and Janome tech support should also know the answer.

Regarding the repairability of your old iMac, I would suggest Googling for "certified mac repair" and see what's available in your area. A quick call to a local store should allow you to get a high-low cost estimate. To find out how to extract the old hard drive visit https://www.ifixit.com. You could get an external USB housing for the old drive and then copy the virtual machine from the old one to the new one. That might let you do an uninstall to recover your activation.