Re: Metallic Thread

Mary Galea <nunkuri@...>

Oh my goodness! Co-opting his wife’s machine and using it like that.....!!! My husband isn’t game to even ask me if he can turn my Queen Fifi on, let alone use her! His sole role with her, is to lift her in and out of the car. 😉

On 17 Oct 2018, at 3:12 am, Pixey via Groups.Io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

Thanks Jim. I had not even thought about turning off the cutter.

Am thinking I might actually test it on my old, slower (and much more portable) 350E so I am not taking my main machines out of availability if something goes wrong.

Pixey

On Oct 15, 2018, at 11:08 AM, onlinesewing via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Pixey you raise a good point. We had a customer several years back who used an 11000 to make "Night Before Christmas" books from the Dakota Designs pack of the same name. He actually co-opted his wife's machine for this and, being retired, used it all day, every day. In many of the pages there was snow. For that he used a white metallic that had an iridescent look to it. After the first couple of books he brought the machine in, complaining that it wouldn't cut the thread. After disassembly I found the thread cutter mechanism jammed with metallic thread. The "crunchy" nature of it was not conducive to clean cutting and it wedged between the blades. The effect was not unlike using your good sewing scissors to cut barbed wire. After tearing down the cutter, removing all the bits, and rebuilding it I advised him to turn it OFF whenever using metallics. This advice was ignored and I got used to seeing the machine every 2 or 3 weeks with much grumbling about it being a lemon. He also had a habit of not always getting the thread in the take-up lever, resulting in many cases of bobbin case and hook race damage. I did enough free repairs on that machine to cancel out most of the profit made on selling it, but it did cause me to advise all our customers to turn off the thread cutter whenever using metallic thread.