Re: thread

Sharon Moos <moos@...>

I try to use cotton thread for piecing since my fabrics are all cotton. The Superior Thread I purchased at PIQF is Masterpiece and had Alex Anderson's name on it so I thought it would be good. It was expensive. I was surprised it breaks so easily. It says it's extra-long Egyptian cotton.  Aurifil seems to work well. A local quilt shop carries Presencia which works well and is expensive for every day piecing.

What thread do you quilters use for piecing?

On Apr 28, 2012, at 6:08 AM, Jim_Stutsman wrote:

The "clunk" sound is normal, related to checking the bobbin. If the bobbin sensor were optical you wouldn't have the noise, but then it might not work when the bobbin area got linty.

Serger thread for piecing is not a great idea. It's fuzzy and makes a lot of lint, which will build up in the bobbin case tension area where it can eventually cause loss of tension. Superior makes a lot of different threads. What you want is called Bottom Line. It's a very strong polyester and it's also fine. More importantly, it's made from long fibers so it's smooth with very little lint.