Re: Embroidery satin stitching tension

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Before dragging your "tank" in for service I would recommend a more controlled test. Start with a properly stabilized fabric in the 140 x 140 hoop. Put a full bobbin in the machine, wound with whatever you plan to use, or a pre-wound if that's your choice. Thread the needle with a good quality embroidery thread in a contrasting color from the fabric and bobbin thread. Enter 2 or 3 uppercase letter I, in the medium (18mm) size. Stitch them out in the top of the hoop, leaving space for additional stitchouts. Stitch a sample with each bobbin case, one on each edge of the hoop.

Next remove the hoop and look at the back. Ideally you would see 3 stripes of thread on each letter, with needle, bobbin, needle in equal amounts - 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. If they are close to this, you are done. Use whichever bobbin case gave that result.

If you see too much needle thread, with almost no bobbin showing, then there is not enough needle tension. If you see almost no needle thread, then there is too much needle tension. Touch the SET key, then the Embroidery Mode key (left of the flag). Page 1 of 6, first item, is the adjustment for automatic tension. To increase tension (too much needle showing) touch the + key. If the bottom is mostly bobbin showing, touch the - key. Just make 1 adjustment, then stitch another sample. Repeat until you have it right, or run out of adjustments. If you got it right, go celebrate. If not, you may have to drag the tank in to see your dealer. In that case you should take a bobbin with you so they can test it with what you actually use.

Before you round up a crew of stout men to drag said tank out to your car, you might also try adjusting the yellow dot bobbin case. Since you are happy with the red dot case, DO NOT TOUCH that one. With the yellow dot case, if you have mostly bobbin on the bottom, turn the slotted screw at the 6 o'clock position on the case clockwise about 1/8 of a turn. If the bottom has almost no bobbin showing, make the adjustment counter-clockwise. Make only SMALL changes and test after each one. If you don't see anything changing after 3 adjustments, or you have adjusted the screw as much as 1/2 turn, then it's time to see the dealer. If you get it right, rejoice and use the yellow dot case for embroidery.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Pixey Mosley <pixeyam@...> wrote:

On the 12000, has anyone had problems with little or no bobbin thread showing on satin stitching segments.  I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem that calls for me to have to haul the "tank" (my affectionate name for the 12000 whenever I try to move it because of the weight) in to the dealer after only 2 weeks of ownership or if this is just an idiosyncrasy of the machine.  I've described what it is doing in more detail below.

I've been experimenting with bobbin threads and bobbin holders in the embroidery mode and am finding that on satin stitch columns and filagree style stitching (graduated satin stitching) I'm getting no bobbin thread showing when using the yellow dot bobbin holder and only a thin line if I switch to the red dot bobbin holder.  At first I thought it might be the bobbin thread I was using (the Janome prewound bobbins) so I visited my dealer and when I described the problem, she indicated that they've had a few reports of inconsistencies with the pre-wounds and showed me what they were using in the store with the yellow dot bobbin holder.  It was a much finer, slicker, and thinner thread.  So I got some of it and came home and stitched some more and had pretty much the same results on my test block letters.  So then I decided to try the built in butterfly design with my name in script under it.  The underlay and weave-fill stitches looked fine
from the back with mostly bobbin thread showing and just a little bit of top color.  But anywhere it was doing satin stitching it really pulled the top thread down and around with little or no bobbin color showing.  The results with the red bobbin holder were almost the same, only a slight line of bobbin thread through the back center of the script text.  I switched to sewing mode with the red bobbin case and it appears to be correctly balanced on the regular sewing and decorative stitches (using regular thread in the bobbin that was the same weight as the top).  So is this really a "problem" or something I'm worrying about needlessly?