Re: Another question

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

That's not surprising. Janome bobbin thread is intended for use in embroidery and provides more than normal tension. That would cause loose stitches on the back. You might be better off using a finer bobbin thread, like Superior Bottom Line. More than likely you would then not have to make any tension adjustments.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Sherry Martin" <shejmartin@...> wrote:

I usually use fairly thin top thread when quilting and Janome bobbin thread a lot of the time. I find that when I use the T shirt quilting-free quilting key I usually have to increase the tension quite a bit or the stitches on the back are too loose. I do a test sample on a scrap quilt sandwich using the same batting I am using in the quilt. But after I get the tension right, this is the easiest machine I've ever owned to free motion quilt on.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Jim_Stutsman" <jim@> wrote:

The QV and QO feet work best on thinner quilts, while PD-H (the hopping foot) works best for high loft quilts. Either will work with the straight stitch needle plate, but with PD-H you must be careful not to change from the center needle position. For best tension use the Application key (T-shirt) and choose Quilting -> Free Quilting. Straight stitches 1 & 2 will work with the straight stitch plate, but not the zigzag stitches 1 & 2.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <csarina43@> wrote:

Can you use the straight stitch needle plate when free motion quilting?????

Yesterday I tired using the free motion quilting programme and the clear foot on the 12000, I did not like it at all, the tension was awful especially on curves with long stitches pulled through to the back making it look loopy. So I changed to FMQ the old way by dropping the feed dogs and using what I call the hopper quilting foot, much better result.

It then occured to me that you could use the straight stitch plate as you are moving the fabric and the needle is just going up and down....