Jeans sewn on the 15000 and Skyline 7

Estelle Torpy

Thank you to all who wrote suggestions about sewing flat felled seams on denim. I posted some photos of me in my new jeans in an album named Estelle.

I used the Tessa jeans pattern from Seamwork magazine by Colette. The denim is a lightweight woven fabric. I ended up using the quarter inch foot and zipper foot to get even double straight stitching on the seams.

I stitched a 5/8" seam trimmed one side, folded and pressed the other side in to the stitch line and then top- stitched the seam allowance flat. I used a size 100 top-stitch needle to top-stitch the decorative stitching on the back pockets.

These jeans are so comfortable to wear with a slightly looser fit and a curved waistband. The waistband sits at my waist which is a personal preference for me. My adult daughter likes her jeans to sit lower.

Both my machines handled the denim with ease, even when sewing over 3 thicknesses. I did slow down when crossing the seam in the back where the yoke attaches to the lower part of the pant leg (6 layers). I sewed most of the jeans with a red 90 Janome needle.

Thanks again for your help.

Estelle, who is cutting out the next pair of jeans tonight.