Windows Creators Update

Caroline Wright

I accidentally allowed Windows to install their Creators version a few weeks ago and my system has slowed to a crawl.  I am running Windows on my Mac with Parallels virtual.  I have followed Jim's advice in not allowing Parallels to update, always saying "remind me later" as he said it may affect my MBX 5.0 software.  So far so good with that.

My Mac has 32 GB of memory and 16 allocated to Windows.  Unfortunately, when Windows became so slow, I deleted the old Windows version thinking it may help so now I can't go back to a previous version.  I'm not sure there is any fix to my problem but thought I  should check with the expert.  One reason that I stuck with Parallels is that it allowed me to drag files back and forth between the two systems and keep both running at the same time.

Thanks for any suggestions.  May have to just kick the whole system to the curb and start over.  :-)

Caroline

I've been away from Windows for so long that I had to hit Google to even find out what the Creators version of Windows 10 is. While there are a lot of features in it, the main point seems to be enhanced graphics with 3D and other wonders. That's fine on a Windows-based computer with a nice graphics card, but in a Windows virtual machine using Parallels the graphics are done in software. That means that exotic, high definition graphics will be VERY slow.

The tried and true solution for big Windows problems is to wipe the disk and reinstall Windows from scratch. In your case that would mean building a new virtual machine using your original Windows 10 media, CD or USB. As long as you are doing that you might want to try VMware Fusion. There is a free trial period and it offers the same "side by side" operation that Parallels does, as well as drag and drop between operating systems. It's not as flashy, but it's much more stable.

As for shunning all updates to the virtual machine software, you do miss bug fixes that way. I would suggest that instead of applying updates you download the Parallels or VMware software again, which will get you the latest version. BUT you should ALWAYS keep the each version you download, dating them as you go. Then if a version breaks Windows activation you can go back to the previous one and install that, using your purchased key to unlock it. And always keep backups of your virtual machine. Another option, available in both Parallels and VMware, is snapshots. When installing new software or Windows upgrades, make a snapshot first. Then if things go wrong you can just restore back before the snapshot and life goes on.