Re: Needle Threader

J Fraker

I have the 12000 and the manual needle threader works great.  Seems if there is going to be such a big problem, it would be best just to go back to that type.

From: "Anne Parker lokicat6@... [janome12000]"
To: janome12000@...
Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2017 4:29 PM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Needle Threader

I love the threader on the 15000 - but it is temperamental.

I sometimes think a more manual threader would be easier to operate on a daily basis.  At least you can actually see what is happening.  The only way you can see what is happening on the 15000 is if you video it with your camera/phone and play it back in slow time.

I also think that the adjustment is critical - you may just have a machine where the adjustment isn't right - maybe the needle stop is a miniscule bit out and the threader is a miniscle bit out.  I count myself lucky that I have a machine that works most of the time.  In fact one of the only two issues I have are when I try too thick a thread with too thin a needle.  There are specifications in the manual on the thickness of thread and size of needle it will work with.  I also don't use it with metallic thread. (same as I don't use the cutter with metallic thread).

The second issue is when I change needle - which of course leads me to maybe use a needle for longer than I should.  It is quite specific on where the needle needs to be placed in the needle clamp.  There is room for manoever, at least in my needle clamp.  The needle can be secured at a slight angle to the horizontal which will mean that the threader hook just glances off the side of the needle or at worse gets temporarily caught at an angle in the needle.  So far that hasn't bent the needle threader hook (fingers crossed).

What I now do is use the opposite end of a manual threader that allows you to hold the needle and push it hard up into the clamp whilst at the same time turning it as far to the left as possible - you may not even be able to see that you are turning it but just push it hard.  Then tighten the clamp.

This may take a few goes until the needle threads on testing.  Once I get the machine to thread a needle once I don't have an issue again until I change to another needle.  I find it easier to use topstitch needles which have a bigger eye so allow a bit more leeway for threading, but I changed to an embroidery needle last week and it only took me 2 goes to get it to thread.  I don't really use univesal needles in it anymore because that has a smaller eye than topstitch or embroidery needles.

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"If you want to be happy - give up living your life to other peoples expectations"