Re: Rag Quilt Question

norma carson

I've done lots of rag quilts, I don't use batting instead I use another layer of flannel, then I would echo around the monogram....just my opinion...
Norma
Lodi, CA

On May 2, 2017, at 6:16 AM, Jill Kenyon jpkenyon@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

A friend of mine makes rag quilts as a cottage business (they're beautiful!).  When she does embroidery on a block she only does an "x" up to the embroidery but not through it, and has reminded me on several occasions not to forget the lock stitch or back stitch near the embroidery so it doesn't come apart with use.

On May 2, 2017 9:11 AM, "Lou Ann Bush louannbush@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

My opinion is yes to the X since it will probably get washed often and it'll need adequate stitches to hold the batting in place.  However, read the information that came with the batting.  It should tell you how close the stitching lines need to be to maintain the integrity of the batting.  I would use a wash-away Vilene type topping since flannel has a little bit of loft to it.  I bet it turns out cute!

LouAnn

I hear wisdom comes with age.  I'm still waiting.

On Monday, May 1, 2017 10:54 PM, "Linda lindamrobertson7@...[janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

Rag Quilt questions --

I am making a rag quilt for a baby, I'm cutting 9 1/2 " squares with 3/4 " seams.

I'm going to monogram two squares with the baby's name and birth info.

1). STABILIZER --
I'm going to use a tear away stabilizer on the back side of the square - do I need to use something on the top so the threads won't sink into the flannel?

2). Should I still sew the X through the 3 layers of fabric on the squares that I monogram?

I hope this makes sense.

Any tips would be appreciated.

P.S. I have the 12000

Linda in Texas