Re: Another day, another massive data leak

Martie <mjdutro@...>

I used to receive those type of calls five to ten times in a day until I discovered NOMOROBO.com.  The phone hardly rings any more and when it does receive a robo call it rings once and NO-MO-ROBO takes care of it.  I am very happy with the free service and have had no problems.  If an illegitimate call identifies itself and I know that it is illegitimate via caller ID I just let it ring its 4 times and it always hangs up before the answering machine clicks on.
The pwned link mentioned I have been pwned on Twitter and LinkedIn.  I have never used or posted on either of these sites so I question the accuracy of that site.
Martie in CA

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:57 AM, "jim.stutsman@... [janome12000]" wrote:

Once again there has been another data breach, this time leaking more than 33 million names, email addresses, and personal information. Details are available here. There is no need to panic, as the information leaked does not mean that your bank account or credit cards are at risk, at least until you put them at risk. What does that mean? The reason they steal this type of information is so they can launch "phishing" attacks. Phishing is digital fishing, literally trying to bait you (the fish) into revealing the information the crook (fisherman) wants. This usually starts with an email that is crafted to look like it came from Google, Microsoft, or even one of your friends. It will contain a message that will cause you to click on a link to go to a website that is also crafted to look like Google, Microsoft, PayPal, or some other site that requires a password. When you "log in" to the fake site you will be giving them your login password and now they have the keys to the kingdom. To avoid this you need to be vigilant about what emails you open and what links you click on. In general you can avoid many attempts simply by NOT clicking the link in the email and instead opening your browser and typing in the link that the email shows. That will get you to the real site.

Many breaches also include phone numbers, so be very wary about giving out information in a phone call from your bank, the IRS, or whatever other agency the scammer claims. Those of us who are seniors (ahem - oh, that's me!) get tons of calls every day from folks trying to sell us things we don't need or want. Most are just annoying marketers, but the bad guys sneak in there too. I've received calls from "the IRS" claiming that I owe back taxes and the police are on the way. Strangely they never showed up.

There is a website where you can check to see if your information has been leaked, and if so, what was leaked: https://haveibeenpwned.com  For those not fluent in geek speak, "pwned" is the geekified version of "owned", meaning once I have your data I own you. If you sign up they will email you if your email ever appears on a list of leaked information, so you at least know about it. As Sarge used to say on Hill Street Blues (If you remember that, you're in my age group!) "Let's be careful out there!"