Madeira Threads

Meryl Margolies

I have a good amount of Madeira embroidery thread that I bought quite a while ago for a Baltimore Album quilt, which I never finished. I'm trying to use some of the thread for another project.

I'm having a real problem with the thread "pooling," and it's frustrating. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thread pooling, aka "puddling", happens when coils of thread fall off the sides of the spool and pile up around the base. This can be prevented using thread nets, which are tubes of netting material often provided with sergers. Slip one over the spool and it will keep the thread wound while still allowing it to feed.