applique stiches

Teresa Sikes

New to the Janome. I have a problem with the base stitches on an applique not staying down. What am I missing? Thanks. Teresa

[Making a best guess at the information we're missing]

So this is an applique embroidery design? Typically those are done in 3 layers of stitching:

1 - the cut line to establish where to cut the applique fabric

2 - the tacking stitches to hold it in place

3 - the cover stitches, typically a satin stitch

Are "the base stitches" you refer to the tacking stitches (2)? Does "not staying down" mean they are loose? What stabilizer are you using? Built-in design or purchased? Regular bobbin case or yellow dot? A photo might be helpful.