Introduction

stilljustjudy@...

Hello Dear Sewing Enthusiasts!

I joined "a while back," and then wrote a few posts and realized I hadn't properly intro'd myself. I wrote a little sewing intro then lost it in the ethers, something that doesn't happen to me too often anymore. Still, I wanted to say "hi" and let everyone know how much I like this group.  This time, I will copy and paste my intro into another spot from time to time to make certain it doesn't evaporate.  Here goes:

Started sewing around 50 years ago on my mom's Singer. As a little child I watched my nana make log cabin quilts on her old black Singer using scraps of velvet.  Happily, I still have several of those quilts!  My first machine was a Singer, but when my own kids were little, and I was sewing their clothes, I upgraded to an Elna with an air-electronic foot control.  Still have that lovely machine and will eventually take it out for a reunion!

When I spotted an Artista 200 back in the early part of the 21st century, I went into debt for it and found it a great machine although a bit finicky.  Upgraded that to a 730. This past fall I saw a Janome 15000 demo'd at my dealer, and I was IN on that quickly due to the iOS apps and wifi capability.  Little did I know that the actual software wouldn't function without Windows, and at this point, I had only Macs in the house (4 of them between my husband and me).  We feel no compunction to ever go back to Windows except I really wish Janome had given me a heads up on that software which they said "can be installed on your laptop."

Note to Janome: Not ALL laptops are Windows-based, and PC means "personal computer," not necessarily Windows.  My dealer said everything would work with my Macs, but they didn't give me that info to deliberately deceive me.  I love my dealer, but it seems Janome also skips a few beats when it comes to keeping their dealers well informed.

Long story short: I am in debt again but settled into the 15000 and still organizing all my old embroidery files I had for my Bernina so they can be at home in the Janome space.  The Janome is a dream for embroidery -- so quiet -- compared to my fussy Bernini's constant thread breakage and thread nests.  As much as I like the Janome for embroidery, I'm hugely frustrated that their software won't install on my Macs even though the iOS apps are ok.

Also, my 15000 automatic threader stopped working, and when I took it into the dealer, I had to leave it. (Boo hoo!)  It was supposedly fixed, except it wasn't.  Still isn't.  Been putting off that next trip to the dealer as it's a disruptive process since I use my machine daily.

The other machine I use daily is my absolutely wonderful Baby Lock serger, a BLE8.  Baby Lock has updated several times, but I wouldn't trade that serger for anything. My dream machine was the top of the line Baby Lock, but I was seduced with the wifi and iOS apps not knowing that I'd need Windows for the actual embroidery software.

I sew lots of clothing for the grandkids, for my daughters and recently geared up the courage to sew for myself again.  It's been a long journey since I could buy a remnant for under $1 and make a school dress on my Elna for my daughter!  When I make my granddaughters clothing, I almost always make a dolly outfit to match for their American Girl dolls.  The doll sewing has been fun, but what's even better is that I do my sewing experiments for the dolls, so I end up teaching myself new techniques, but the cost of error is small!

Happy to meet you wonderful folks, and glad to be here!  I'm going to share a couple more posts on specific topics, so will share a bit more before I leave the group for the day.

Judy Batson