Re: My Janome 12000

vicki chrobak

That is a phenomenal system Maggie. Thank you very much for explaining. Although I've spent time in the far east & used transformers I never went to UK or Europe & I do like education in whatever form. And I just thought everyone used/needed surge protectors.

--
Vicki Jo

Hi Vicki, I wasn't trying to educate you sweetheart but stop Anne
spending her hard to gather savings. We have a higher voltage rating
here in Gt Britain and Europe, 230 volta with a 10% leeway up or down.
We also have a system of transformers and invertors en route to the
point of use, i,e, the consumer. Before any current can be drawn by a
cosumer it has to pass through a 'mains consumer board' which has a 'max
load fuse' inserted in such a way any attempt to change that mains max
load fuse will be seen. We have fused circuits, normally in 2 storey
house, 2 lighting circuits, one for each floor, 2 socket circuits, also
one for each floor, a cooker circuit with an isolater switch plus its
own fuse and the circuit fuse. If you do as we did, extend your home it
has to have new circuits laid from the mains board and have seperate
circuits for lighting and sockets. All appliances must have fused
power plugs, rated at the highest amperage level for that appliance,
no higher. If a fuse is blown in a plug socket it switches off the
whole of that circuit by tripping its circuit breaker on the the mains
fuse board. In the unlikely event the draw on a circuit exceeds the
maximum load of 13 amps then the circuit breaker will cut the power to
that circuit via the trip switch. The consumer board and each circuit
is ground earthed, usually to a mains water pipe as it enters the house
as that passes directly into the soil outside the building. The mains
power line is also ground earthed before entering the meter, and then
the consumer board, so the whole system is designed on the belt and
bracers principle. So I suppose in a way it does operate a little like a
power surge protector, but our Computers, electronic micro processor
goods are more likely to be damaged by static than power surges over
here.

Since the arrival of central heating, man made fibres used in clothing
and carpets, we ourselves generate an enormous amount of static. I
have wood floors, real wool rugs, wear rubber soled house shoes and
always ground myself by touching the metal housing of my PC before
turning it on. I keep humidifiers topped up to prevent the air getting
dry enough to create static, and remove plugs from sockets when an
item isnt being used, never leave any appliances on standby, (TV or PC
on standby consumes more electricity then when being used) the only
appliances never turned off are the freezer,refrigerator, and gas
boiler, they have an extremely low power draw.

maggie cooper.