Question for Jim regarding LAN settings

Gail

I have had my machine for over a year and have been connected wirelessly with no problem  Recently, I got a new fiber optic network connection and I reconfigured the connections to the sewing machine.  No problem.  Today, I am unable to stay connected.  I tried to redo the connection and when I'm done the screen on the machine tells me I'm connected to my network.  When I try to connect the iPad or laptop, it may or may not connect, but if it does, I lose it right away.

When I look at the screen with my LAN settings, it has my network name, my IP address and my machine name.  Does that mean that the machine is still connected to the network?

Not sure If I should have DCHP on or off.  If on, my IP address does not show up, if Off, it does.  Have no idea what this means.

Any suggestions at all?  Not even sure what questions to ask next.

Gail

Shaking out the suggestion bag, Jim finds a bottle cap, some gum, lint, and this:

The fact that the machine has an IP, and you can connect albeit briefly, tells us that the WiFi is working. Some fiber optic services (e.g. Verizon FIOS) come with their own wireless router. It may be using a different wireless channel than your previous router, as the installer probably just left it at the default out of the box. The 15000 doesn't have much of a WiFi antenna, and it's sensitive to interference. If the router is further away from the machine than the original it may also have a weak signal.

You probably have support for the new network, so you could just call Bubba back out to tweak the router until the machine connection is stable. If you want to try it yourself, you can probably connect to the router from your computer. Take the IP from your machine and enter the first 3 numbers in your browser address bar, followed by .1. (For example, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.1.1) This will get you into the router configuration. Of course Bubba may have it password protected, in which case you won't be able to do anything, but if it's not you can probably change the WiFi channel. In the US there are 11 of them, but they are so close in frequency that it really boils down to 1, 6 and 11. The ones in between aren't far enough away in frequency to be useful. Default is usually 6, or it may say "Automatic". Try other frequencies if you can to see if it becomes more stable.

Worst case, you may need to get a WiFi extender. Those are available from anyplace where computer gear is sold.