Free motion quilting feet - help!

stitchnpatch

Tonight I decided to have a play with the Free Motion Quilting feet and the Quilting programme however I wasn't entirely happy with the way the feet attached to the machine. Maybe I was doing something wrong but for example the large round one (QV? sorry I'm away from the machine at the moment) pointed up towards me at the front and the back was down so low it wouldn't allow the fabric to move. When I've used a similar style foot on a different make of machine it lay flat onto the fabric and floated on top of the quilt sandwich. I went into the settings and raised it as high as I could and then it worked - but was that the right thing to do? I was using 2 layers of quilting cotton and a piece of thin batting.
Vicki