Re: Acute sign app

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

I follow the posts, but rarely comment or ask questions!  My 12000 is about a year old now.  I sold my Elissimo and bought the floor model from a very reliable Janome only dealer.  I didn't have any problems with the Babylock, but a good friend swears by the Janome, so I decided to give it a whirl.  Although this is a machine group, I have a question about resizing designs.  Recently I was told that even if the software has the ability to adjust density when resizingm it still isn't wise to change it by more than 20%.   If that's true. how do you change the size of lettering for monograms?  I have Wilcom, and it seems to have an uper and lower limit for sizing.  The software is way over my head, and way more than I need, but unfortunately, I'm a such a sucker for sales pitches!  Software aside, is there any definitive answer for the resizing question?  I don't recall ever seeing commercially didgitized lettering large for monogramming things like towels.  Right now,my primary goal is to figure out how to use the 12000 more fully.  I bought the DVD, but of course never got around to watching it!  If this question isn't appropriate for this group, I'll understand.  After reading the comments of the software, it just popped into my head :-)

Waiting for an answer to pop into his head, Jim decides to wing it:
When a designer creates an embroidery design, she builds it with a particular size in mind. In addition to just filling areas with stitches, she must consider the pulling effect the stitches will have on the fabric. Even resizing software that maintains the stitch density cannot maintain the structure of the design past a certain point. Consider satin stitches for example. Layers of satin stitches that follow the contours of an object can be used to create lifelike fur. However if the design is enlarged too much, those satin stitches must be changed to weave stitches, which have a completely different look. This is also true for monograms, where curves and angles are critically important for lettering integrity. When you need lettering of a certain size it's a good idea to experiment with different fonts to see what works best.

Wilcom software is excellent, but the sheer number of tools and options can be daunting. There are many resources on the web for learning how to use them. A good place to start is Trevor Conquergood's digitizer workshops. Trevor learned digitizing when it was really difficult - each stitch had to be manually placed. There are some exquisite monogram packages available from EmbroideryArts.com.  The letters in each set are digitized to be a large size (2" - 5") so resizing is not necessary. We sold their designs in our store and they were very well done.