From: Christopher Swingley<mailto:cswingle@...>
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2022 8:41 PM
To: Richard Wilson<mailto:yorkshireman@...>
Cc: Steve B. in Thunder Bay, Ontario<mailto:jstudio@...>; OldTools List<mailto:oldtools@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [oldtools] A bit of help searching the archive...

Richard,

On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 12:23 PM Richard Wilson <
yorkshireman@...> wrote:

Last century, we had a galoot who was keeping all messages, on the basis
that there was so much valuable information locked in them

i’ve been brain bashing on and off since your comment, but danged if i can
put a name to him (that happens a lot to me these days)
It'd be easy enough for me to dump everything that's in the database to
text format. I doubt you'll find a more complete set of posts than that,
but the tricky bit is figuring out how to keep the structure. Way back
when, mail clients were good about keeping threads and posters were good
about bottom posting, but neither is really true anymore, so keeping track
of the connectedness of a conversation is more challenging.

Anyway, a long time ago I wrote some scripts to dump a "threaded" and
"plain" version of the archives in plain text. If someone is interested in
such a thing, I can dig them up.

Cheers,

Chris
--