Topics

What am I missing? (ODY2 setup question)

AA6I

I can connect to my ODY 1 using OpenHPSDR mRX v3.4.7, Thetis v2.5.3 and cuSDR64Beta v).3.3.0. With fixed IP.

Using the same setup my Gigabit router DHCP assigns an IP to my ODY 2. I can see the asignment on the router.

For the life of me I cannot get any program to connect to the ODY 2. They all say cannot find hardware, did I turn it on? (yes)

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any advice

Stan  AA6I

David Fainitski

Hello, Stan

That is strangelly, because...
I can connect to my ODY 1 using OpenHPSDR mRX v3.4.7, Thetis v2.5.3 and cuSDR64Beta v).3.3.0. With fixed IP.
You can not use ODY-1 with Thetis - it does not work with old protocol.

Using the same setup my Gigabit router DHCP assigns an IP to my ODY 2. I can see the asignment on the router.
If you are using the same setup with static IP how your router DHCP assigned other IP ?

Ody-1 does not contain DHCP client. If you want to use the same setup - turn of the DHCP in ODY-2 and assign the same IP.

Also would be helpful check the LAN connection to Gigabit mode. The second LED on Ody-2 board should be turned on permanently.

Best regards

David.

AA6I

David:

Yes, LED #2 is ON steady.

I started ODY2 in Bootloader and read the MAC address and noted that it is different from the MAC address reported by my routers DHCP. That says to me it is a different interface. I set a static IP and was unable to connect. I reactivated DHCP and was unable to connect.

The MAC address read by my router is registered to a manufacturer by the name of Espressif.Inc (probably the chip maker) the MAC address reported using the bootloader returns an UNKNOWN manufacturer. (?)

So at this point I am thinking an interface problem that I don't know how to resolve. Perhaps some other users can make the same test and see what they get. (Like someone with a working system)

73

Stan

David Fainitski

Hello, Stan

Bootloader mode does not use TCP/IP protocol , it use Raw Ethernet packets, therefore you will not see MAC/IP assigment.

Connect Odyssey to PC directly, it is work ? If not send me back and I will check again.

If you use connection trough router or Ethernet hub you can have problems. Ody uses broadcast packets for identify of SDR programm and broadcast packets don't pass trough router if your PC and Ody network are different.

One of good way to resolve this problem - use static IP. In this case you should also show to SDR programm that ODY uses static IP, otherwise SDR programm will send broadcast still and wait for answear.
At this moment only Thetis can work with static IP without broadcast identity, but for this mode you should show ODY's IP manually in Settings - see the screenshot in attachment.

Before using Thetis you should make a ping ODY's IP - is it work ?

Would be helpful to read manual for Anan 100D here - https://apache-labs.com/download_file.php?downloads_id=1010
And connected threads

Try also AOP firmware - it is 100% ported firmware from Anan 100D (100Mbit Ethernet mode).

Best regards, David

AA6I

David:

I have tried different Ethernet adapters on my PC and different cables and using Static IP and direct connect and I CAN using Bootloader, read the MAC and IP (if set) and I can change the IP. I see read write activity on LED 3 and 4. This is the only time I see LED 4 activity.

I CANNOT Ping the IP, using Ping, or with a port scanner. Port scanner says host down, no open ports. LED 4 never lights.

Trying Thetis or OpenSDR I see the Broadcast ARP request from the PC but no response using Wireshark.

An attempt the use DHCP with a direct connect to the router failed. My earlier comment that this worked was erroneous.

You mentioned using AOP firmware. The ODY2 reports it is using AOP 1.10 so I am not sure what to do here.

I did read the material you referenced. Thankyou, It was helpful, but I did not get the same outcome.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

73

Stan  AA6I

David Fainitski

Hello, Stan

LED4 is blinking when ODY responds to request from PC. It is a sure sign that all works good with correct settings.

Send me back the Ody, i will dublecheck. It does not take a lot of time because we live nearby.

David

David Fainitski

I found out that ANP firmware does not support ICMP requests.

So ping will not work.

It may be cause for non working with routers and WinXP (if you use its).

But it should work with Win7+++ and direct conversion to PC

David

David Fainitski

I am sorry, guys....

The ANP firmware based on ANAN-10E and DHCP doesn't work too...

If IP was not assigned, ODY use APIPA address 169.254.last MAC 2 digits.

APIPA addresing works good on my Win10 PC, I did not assign static IP and ODY works.

AOP firmware contain DHCP and ICMP and based on ANAN-100D firmware.

David

David Fainitski

AA6I

David:

I installed the new firmware. For reasons I do not understand, it did not immediately work. As I was about to give up, It started using Thetis in static IP mode. There is hope and I am happy! Thanks for your help.

73

Stan AA6I

David Fainitski

Hello, Stan

What network subnet mask are you using ? People say that 192.168.1.x is work good.  Other subnets don't work.

David

AA6I

David:

I am using static address and a direct cable with a dedicated network card. Network 192.168.2.x

I am still wondering why the setting I had tried multiple times without results, all of the sudden started working. Something in my PC, Thetis or the ODY2. I'm baffled. It works now but I haven't tried to change anything.

I did notice that the hardware dialog box in Thetis did not report a MAC address until it started working.

Stan

David Fainitski

Hello, Stan

ICMP (ping) does not work still on ANP_1.11, I checked.
This works on ANP but I am not shure that DHCP works too.

This problem is general for all HPSDR devices and impossible resolve its in near future.

I see only one way - rewrite all the Ethernet code by himself. Yes, I will do this just give a time.

I propose to use ODY with direct connection to PC. If you don't have free LAN connectors  - use this thing

David