Topics

Program 2_1_20_ANP into a board running 1_10_ANP?

Steven Wilson

David,

I've tried looking at email traffic for clear instructions - and I recall doing this with the Iambic keys being shorted (still have that fixture). What I don't recall was which program to use to do load the new .RBF file into my Ody2?

I saw a lot of traffic between you and Sid concerning programming the MCU to use the Python program you used.  Is that the way I need to do it, and do I need to get a Bit Blaster and MCU programmer?

Thanks,

Steve KA6S

Reto HB9TRT

Hi Steve,

1. For programming the MCU you need a pickit 3 programmer
2. For programming the bootloader (.pof) you need a USB Blaster or Bit Blaster
3. For programming the Firmware you need a network connection to your ody2 and the python file bootloader.pwy

I wrote a manual for programming the ody2. But it's in German. You can use Google translate.

Vy 73
Reto /hb9trt

Steven Wilson

The question really is do I need to do those upgrades to update a working board to the latest version or do the old tools still work? Note...my board is working as built by David.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020, 3:51 PM Reto HB9TRT <hb9trt@...> wrote:
Hi Steve,

1. For programming the MCU you need a pickit 3 programmer
2. For programming the bootloader (.pof) you need a USB Blaster or Bit Blaster
3. For programming the Firmware you need a network connection to your ody2 and the python file bootloader.pwy

I wrote a manual for programming the ody2. But it's in German. You can use Google translate.

Vy 73
Reto /hb9trt

Reto HB9TRT

Maybe not,
I think it's possible to load only the firmware with the python script corresponding to your bootloader version.
I think it's also possible to upgrade the bootloader to the newest if you program the bootloader.rbf to slot 0.
But I'm not sure, if the mcu version must correspond to the bootloader version.
So you can upgrade only the firmware without any risk. If ody don't work after that, you can load again the old firmware.

But the two programmers are very cheap as clones. You'll find it on eBay for under 10 dollar's each. So you are able to restore all firmware if there's a problem.
Maybe David can tell more about the possibilities you have without the programmers.

Vy 73
Reto

Steven Wilson

Reto,

Thanks very much for the suggestions - I hope Dave will be able to chime in and deliver a few words of wisdom. Thanks for doing the instructions too.

73

Steve

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:16 AM Reto HB9TRT <hb9trt@...> wrote:
Maybe not,
I think it's possible to load only the firmware with the python script corresponding to your bootloader version.
I think it's also possible to upgrade the bootloader to the newest if you program the bootloader.rbf to slot 0.
But I'm not sure, if the mcu version must correspond to the bootloader version.
So you can upgrade only the firmware without any risk. If ody don't work after that, you can load again the old firmware.

But the two programmers are very cheap as clones. You'll find it on eBay for under 10 dollar's each. So you are able to restore all firmware if there's a problem.
Maybe David can tell more about the possibilities you have without the programmers.

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi Steve,

If found some time I simulate your problem on my ody. Because I have all programmers, I finde a way out if it fails ;)

vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hello, Steve
First of all you have to update the bootloader to actual version.
Program MCU programmer with MCU.hex file from ANP firmware folder "Odyssey_ANP_2.1.2.zip" using  PICkit 3 programmer.
Then enter the board to bootloader mode and load Bootloader.rbf file to Slot 0 using Bootloader_2.1.pyw from "Odyssey_BL_2.2.zip".
Then load to slot 1, 2 or 3 working firmware, rbf file from "Odyssey_2_ANP_1.2.zip" .
Select needed slot and use the new firmware.

If you don't have Pickit 3 programmer, you can try to use old one, just load working firmware to needed slot.
I am not sure that it will work properly.