I have prepared the image for ultracheap 4-core OrangePI PC http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Orange-Pi-PC-linux-and-android-mini-PC-Beyond-Raspberry-Pi-2/32448079125.html

Was installed:

QUISK 4.04

hiqsdr-server

dspserver

openvpn server

openwebrx server

Download the image from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzuiSb2tJSbzNWlmSzlwY2tOR2s/view?usp=sharing

For using, write this image to 4, 8, 16 GB SD-card with Win32DiskImager (under Windows).

Install this SD-card into OrangePI PC and run. Password "orangepi".

After the first starting, execute in Terminal:

sudo fs_resize

restart

All needed links are locating  on Desktop.

Duble ckick on "QUISK" for Quisk starting. The config file is located in the /home/orangepi .quisk_conf.py

For starting the ghpsdr-alex server, run "hiqsdr-server" and "dspsrever".  Config files for setting located in /home/orangepi, these are hiqsdr.cfg and dspserver.conf. You can use client's programms in your home network, as glSDR under Android or QTRadio under Windows or Linux  http://napan.ca/ghpsdr3/index.php/QtRadio_on_Windows

Connect to the IP of your OrangePI in your home network. Run ifconfig in terminal for information.

If you want to share server via internet, you need have a "white external IP". To obtain it, you need to use the VPN service, example leaderip.com. Put the obtaned config files ca.crt, client.conf, pass.txt  into /etc/openvpn. Run the "VPN_Start" from desktop. Run the "Chromium Web Browser" and look your IP with www.ipcheck.info, you need to see your "white IP". After that, your server will be visible in the server-list and everybody can use It via internet with client's programm.

You can also setup the private netvork connection (VPN) directly trough you PC and OrangePI,without "white IP", but in this case only you be able to use transceiver via internet.

Openwebrx server is allow to use the RTL-SDR dongle. The config file is exist in the /home/orangepi/Downloads/openwebrx  config_webrx.py  For using this server don't need a client's programm, just run http://your_ip_address:8073  in any web browser. Many users can use server via internet if OrangePI working with the "white IP". Read more about the project here sdr.hu

Good luck !

pc the wifi dongle for minniPC is here http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-150mbps-usb-WiFi-wireless-network-card-RTL-8188CUS-2-4GHz-802-11n-g-b-Comfast/32259725686.html

David Turner

Would it be possible to change boot loader, so this program will run on raspberry pi3 ?
I have Linux Ubuntu mate,plus quisk 4.0.4 on pi3  just require *Radio* settings for *Odyssey*

Many thanks.
Dave.
g0vvf.

David Fainitski

Hello, Dave.
You can try to copy all files from work's filesystem in my image ("linux" partition) to filesystem partition in your image for PI3.
If it will not work, use my config file for QUISK  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzuiSb2tJSbzZmRGWTdjc3pkdDg/view?usp=sharing

David Turner

Thanks for reply,I copied quisk_settings-json file to my home folder and put the dark background setting in .quisk_conf.py

Dave.
g0vvf.

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David

Is this image averywhere availlable? The link above is broken.

My plan for the odyssey is to make a standalone TRX with odyssey board, battery, RasperyPI oder OrangePi, 7" Display mit touchscreen. And if all works, i'll designe a case for all.

vy 73
Reto

Robson Pereira

Reto,

I am also planning to use Odyssey-2 with Raspberry Pi 4. Here are the links I used:

Case:
Reference:
Heat Sink:

Software:
73, Rob

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 6:57 AM Reto HB9TRT <hb9trt@...> wrote:
Hi David

Is this image averywhere availlable? The link above is broken.

My plan for the odyssey is to make a standalone TRX with odyssey board, battery, RasperyPI oder OrangePi, 7" Display mit touchscreen. And if all works, i'll designe a case for all.

vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hello, Reto.
I have deleted those images from my cloud couple weeks ago.

Odyssey is very powerfull SDR transceiver, that is not too smart create bounded standalone project especially based on OrangePC.

As Robson Pereira saggest you, you can use PiHPSDR as an option if you want to use Ody with no PC.

For standalone project you can assembly easy for 100 - 150 $ my HiqSDR mini board.
http://www.cqham.ru/forum/showthread.php?27609-%D2%F0%E0%ED%F1%E8%E2%E5%F0-HiQSDR-mini

Robson Pereira

Yes, for QRP, portable use on batteries, the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB and 1.5GHz quad-core running PiHPSDR seems to do well with an advanced SDR like Odyssey-2.

Ken N9VV has a video on this:

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 1:21 PM David Fainitski <rolin791@...> wrote:
Hello, Reto.
I have deleted those images from my cloud couple weeks ago.

Odyssey is very powerfull SDR transceiver, that is not too smart create bounded standalone project especially based on OrangePC.

As Robson Pereira saggest you, you can use PiHPSDR as an option if you want to use Ody with no PC.

For standalone project you can assembly easy for 100 - 150 $ my HiqSDR mini board.
http://www.cqham.ru/forum/showthread.php?27609-%D2%F0%E0%ED%F1%E8%E2%E5%F0-HiQSDR-mini

Reto HB9TRT

Hello David and Rob

Looks very interesting all the solution, also the case. And the mini hiqsdr could also be a project. It's easier to build I think than the ody2. So the people who don't want building an Odyssey could build the easier and also cheaper version.

I would have a look to the project. Also project with case for ody 2.

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi Rob,

At the moment I tested thetis on the notebook under windows. Works well now. Also both receiving paths. So i'm sure now, that the solderwork is fine. I only had one little bug on a resistor network so the fpga could not write to the memory. Essential, I know, but David has a very good and 100% hint. So in found this very fast.

At the moment I'm in the southern part of Switzerland. It's quite hot and befor we had to escape our boat because of a thunderstorm, but it was only a little on and now sun is back.
All gets very hot at 33° and at sun, so I stopped Ody and also the SDR software because also the notebook gets hot (At powersupply, charging battery and running SDR software is a killer ;))

I'll try later. I only have a solder wire as antenna. I forget any antenne and also connectors at home ;)

vy 73
Reto

Robson Pereira

Reto,

33 celsius is a nice breeze down here in Texas where nowadays the temperature is climbing around 44 :)

Good to know your BGA soldering was successful in the first try.

73, Rob

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:01 AM Reto HB9TRT <hb9trt@...> wrote:
[...]

Hello Rob

I kknow, 44 degrees c are very hot. But here are 33 also terrible because of high humidity... 😉

I was several times in the USA, in about 25 states, also Texas, most time in California, Arizona and Nevada..I like the dry heat there. Same thing in Australia where we had over 50 degrees in the center (Alice Springs)... With a car without air-condition.. It was out of order since temperature rises over 30 degrees.. 😉 It was an old Holden Commodore with 380'000 km..

Now we have a thunderstorm and it cools down a bit.

Ody: I have some pcb's left and also a fpga and some of the other parts. So I'll build another ody in the colder times.

Vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hello, Reto.
My congrats. I was pretty skeptical with your "soldering in oven" idea but it works as I see
.
I am assembling Sparrow 4 now, will think how to do DDC inside ;)

David Fainitski

Hello, Reto and Robson
25 Celsius and lite rain in Seattle area, evergreen Washington state :)))

Reto HB9TRT

Hello David

Yes, the soldering in oven works pretty good for the fpga, but with the QFN I had no success.
I soldered the QFNs with the Reflow station from Aliexpress. This works absolutely fine all QFNs works without any after-work. I don't use solder paste. This could work too but I haven't paste here. So I did it this way.

1. Tin the pads on the board and also on the chip. Use solder Flux for doing that.
2. Remove too much folder
3. Clean with alcohol or a pcb cleaning fluid
4. Mount pcb over the Reflow heating plate.
5. Temperature 200 degrees Celsius. Wait a few minutes (I measure a temperature of little higher than 100 degrees on a ground pad of the pcb)
6. Put again solder Flux to the pad where the QFN should be soldered
7. Place the chip on the footprint, align it as accurate as possible
8. Take the heat gun which is integrated in this Station. I set the temperature to 253 degrees Celsius. After 10 or 15 seconds the QFN goes down and align itself correct. I test it with a tool and try to move it, it go's back to its optimal position.
9. Turn of heat gun and plate, I let the heat gun in position until it powers off (below 100 degrees)
10. Take the board away from the plate and let it cool down.

This works for me for all QFNs.

Oven: it's also from Aliexpress. Very cheap too.

1. I clean the pcb and tin all pads of the fpga. I did that again with Flux
2. Remove all tin from the pads
3. Put enough Flux to the fpga pads
4. Align the bga to its pad as accurate as possible.
5. Put the board in the Ofen and choose solder Profil 3. Max temperature 256 degrees Celsius
6. After 8 minutes the bga is soldered.

I do this outside, because the Flux produces some smoke.... 😉

After soldering I clean the area around the bga with cleaning fluid.. (I use normal "Spiritus")

Sparrow 4 Inch: I'm glad to hear that you build this very nice trx. It is based on the mchf project, but with better controller and display. It is compatible with the uhsdr software project. It's a very nice stand alone sdr trx in the Form factor of a kx2 from elecraft but with spectrum analyzer and waterfall diagram and many other extended functions. Also decoders for cw or some digital modes. It also supports freeDV modulation.

I use it for portable avicities like sota. I use the mini tuner from elecraft and a simple wire antenna. As Power source I use a liion battery.

If you took a matched pair of final stage fet and do some modifications you find in the German forums like i40 (https://www.amateurfunk-sulingen.de/forum/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=1460)

Or

https://www.sdr-tulipan-dl.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=cd13128323b8ce1530ab1c94a54f709f&board=22.0

For more information. Artur (sp3osj) writes there also. And the i40 board is the home of the uhsdr software.

If you do all correct the pa makes 15 to 20 W on all bands.

MCU: take the stm32h7 with 480 mhz. It is supported since a few months in the uhsdr software and gives you enough power for future extensions.

Uhsdr is also open source and you find it here :

https://github.com/df8oe/UHSDR

Happy soldering.
Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hello David

There are ideas around the project to use ddc. But based on a xilinx fpga. There's also a hardware project from the uhsdr team. First they released a ui board which is compatible with the rf board from an mchf. But the project should also include the rf parts. Until now there's nothing released and I think the new hardware project don't work's with the existing i40 ui board. I think this will be a complete new development also the ui part and the project will be based in a ddc.

Arthur's Sparrow is a combination of the i40 board and a completely modified mchf rf board. The best from the 2 projects including modifications made over a few years of user experience. And Arthur delivers parts for a complete finished trx. A nice case, a set of pcb and all parts which are difficult to find. All other parts you have to buy yourselves at mouser or digikey or other sources.
The 4 inch version comes with no labels, so I must do it myself. My one was labeled with a laser writer. It looks nicer with labels :)

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hello David here a picture of the board with baked bga. Only the tx part is not finished. Maybe this weekend.

Vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hello, Reto.
Thank you for that info.

I have my own solution to bring DDC in to UHSDR project. I will anonce it after full test.

Reto HB9TRT

Hello David,

Sounds very interesting! UHSDR is a very interesting project which I use since it exists. It can be used in many TRX like mchf, Eagle, SParrow and i40. But not in a DDC until now. But Andreas is working also on a DDC, I don't know the state of his development. He don't tells about a time frame, only that he works on it. WIth UHSDR a standalone DDC TRX may be possible.

vy 73
Reto