Topics

Odyssey-2 in Linux - Report

Neoklis Kyriazis

Hi all,

Spent some spare time lately to continue my efforts to run the Odyssey-2 in Linux, with a direct connection to the Ethernet port. This is an unmodified unit with the original firmware as was supplied when it went into production. I has the original boot loader and AOP-1.10 firmware.

I first tried to run Ody-2 with a direct Ethernet connection but it would not work. I then connected it to my ISP's router and was able to access it via the WiFi connection and I used  HPSDRProgrammer-v2-nopcap to give Ody the default static IP of 192.168.2.160 and the computer's port the static IP of 192.168.2.100, as advised by David. However, every effort and every info I found on the Web failed to make it work. I could only get the ping tool to work successfully but not discovery by any software.

I then tried to connect with Ody using the direct Ethernet connection but with DHCP, so I used the programmer with a connection to the router to reset Ody-2 to work with DHCP. After much effort and experiment, I succeeded to have the Odyssey-2 respond to ping and be discovered by both the programmer and ghpsdr so that now I have a chance to actually run Ody-2.

There is however a catch - Odyssey-2 will only work with DHCP if the following sequence is followed:

1. Set up the O/S dhcpcd service to separately set up WiFi and Ethernet.

2. Use ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off to set up the port.

3. Switch on Odyssey _after_ starting the computer (and the dhcp service) so that (apparently) Odyssey makes a DHCP request when the dhcpcd server is ready.

This is fair enough, better than having to work with a router or switch but I would prefer to make it all work without manual operations every time. I have added the ethtool command to the rc.local int script and that is done at boot time. Also set up Void Linux's "runit" init system to run dhcpcd separately at boot time so all that is left is the need to switch on Ody after boot is finished.

So, having got this far, I feel that I should try to upgrade Ody-2 to newer firmware but I rather not go as far as importing the needed hardware to reprogram with the new boot loader, since the necessary software will not run on Linux anyhow.

So I would like to ask, can I safely upgrade the AOP-1.10 firmware to the latest available, using only the HPSDRprogrammer and existing boot loader, and if so, will it work with a non-static IP address (under DHCP)? If not, will it be more likely to succeed with a static IP and with a direct Ethernet-to-Ethernet connection?

Apologies for the long post, but its been a much much longer effort to get this far! ;-)

Thanks!

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ

David Fainitski

Hello, Neoklis.

. I then connected it to my ISP's router and was able to access it via the WiFi connection and I used  HPSDRProgrammer-v2-nopcap to give Ody the default static IP of 192.168.2.160 and the computer's port the static IP of 192.168.2.100, as advised by David.
No, this configuration works only with direct connection to PC. If you are using router's connection, you should install parameters defined router's settings.

I then tried to connect with Ody using the direct Ethernet connection but with DHCP

For what ? With direct connection easier to work with static IP .

So, having got this far, I feel that I should try to upgrade Ody-2 to newer firmware but I rather not go as far as importing the needed hardware to reprogram with the new boot loader, since the necessary software will not run on Linux anyhow.

It is not necessary but preferably.
the hardware are cheap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5EC9-Universal-PICkit3-PICkit2-USB-Debugger-Programmer-Emulator-PIC-Controller/163431362801?hash=item260d44b0f1:m:mpX6FhOvpNoQj3crh9LEAnA:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Blaster-ByteBlaster-Cable-Kit-For-Altera-CPLD-FPGA-Programmer/113314595538?hash=item1a621382d2:g:y6sAAOSwq9RbxvN6:rk:2:pf:0

So I would like to ask, can I safely upgrade the AOP-1.10 firmware to the latest available, using only the HPSDRprogrammer and existing boot loader, and if so, will it work with a non-static IP address (under DHCP)?

No, you can't. The bootloader and firmware should be the same versions.

 If not, will it be more likely to succeed with a static IP and with a direct Ethernet-to-Ethernet connection?

You can use  DHCP or static IP addressing with any firmware versions.
Just use correct settings for success.

Best regards, David.

Neoklis Kyriazis

Hello, Neoklis.
Hello David,

. I then connected it to my ISP's router and was able to access it via the
WiFi connection and I used  HPSDRProgrammer-v2-nopcap to give Ody the
default static IP of 192.168.2.160 and the computer's port the static IP of
192.168.2.100, as advised by David.
No, this configuration works only with direct connection to PC. If you are
using router's connection, you should install parameters defined router's
settings.
Well, it actually worked, via the WiFi router, with both static IP and DHCP,
e.g. I had discovery from my computer with both cases.

I then tried to connect with Ody using the direct Ethernet connection
but with DHCP
For what ? With direct connection easier to work with static IP .
Well, I could never get it to work with a static IP and direct connection, and
I just could not find out why. Must be something I was not configuring right.
I could get ping to work but not discovery.

It is not necessary but preferably. The hardware are cheap.
I am not concerned about the cost, its the trouble I always have with
customs and couriers, when importing anything other than bananas or
bathroom scales.... Someone here knows what I am talking about, still!

But I will now have to do this and I presume install Windows somewhere so
that I can use the relevant software tools to do the job.

No, you can't. The bootloader and firmware should be the same versions.
Yeah, I think this is why I bricked the Ody. Can I expect it to recover if I flash
the right boot loader and firmware?

Best regards, David.