FPGA ERROR

Luca Fusari

Hi, i have succesfully installed again bootloader but display indicate "FPGA ERROR" all  LEDs remain fixed on.
All power voltages are correct.

I have replaced resistor array close to memory from 4K7 to 10K. Connecting the Ethernet cable with PC the Ethernet leds remain all off.I have replaced ethernet chipset but nothing changes.

I would like to know if the funtionality of Ethernet LEDS are  dependent with FPGA status.

Which could be the problem ? FPGA BAD SOLDER ?

Thank you, 73

Luca IK2LRN
Milano Italia

David Fainitski

Hi.
When all the LEDs a permanently on and no blinking, the FPGA did not start with the Bootloader code.
The Ethernet does not affect to this error.

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David

What could be the problem (hardware) if this happens? I have the same problem with a board here. Exactly the same.
The bootloader could be loaded without errors. Oled shows FPGA ERROR. And it starts not after power up. All leds remaining on and don't blink as usually on other boards in the same stage.
Anything with communication to the mcu?

Seems the same problem as Luca has.
Vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hi, Reto
The problem the FPGA is starting very slow.
PIC thinks the FPGA is not working but after some time FPGA starts . I don't know why, never seen this before. FPGA should start in second after power on. Check 10 MHz test points on your board. 2 check points are there.

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David,

I checked the 10MHz Testpoints and there's a clean 10MHz signal. I also checked again all Voltage Testpoints. Same, all ok.

At Power UP,  alle LED's light up very fast (no blinking), about 1-2 Seconds later the OLED displays FPGA ERROR.

I also never seen this behaviour and I had arround 10 or 15 ODY's here to programm or test. Hmm...

vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hi, Reto
Seems like I have found the problem.
Look at the 5V DcDC converter area, change 2 10nF caps to 10nF caps.
Looks like some boards have 10uF instead.

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David
Thanks for analyzing the problem.

Do you mean this two caps:

vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David

I changed this two. The following effect happens. The regulator could not switched on by mcu.

Vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hi, Reto.
You have installed 10u instead 10n on the top on picture.
Install 10nf there . One of those caps is a timer for output voltage appearing.

Reto HB9TRT

Edited

Hi David

I solder out this two caps and measure it. They are 10nF. So i think it's another problem. Maybe i check the regulator again of good soldering.

If i did understand it right, this regulator switches 5V on if i press the button and all other instead of at least one (for the mcu) will be powered by this one. So I have all voltage correct if it is switched on I measure it and the voltages for the fpga are correct.

What do you mean with the timing? What happens if this is not correct?

Vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hi, Reto
Did you write earlier the FPGA is starting very slow after power on the board ?

Reto HB9TRT

Edited

Hi David

Maybe a misunderstanding. I think it don't starts.
After switch on all leds light up. But no blinking. After a while fpga error appears on the oled.

Vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hi, Reto
That is different thing. Luca's board started very slow after power on.
So did you find what is happening ?
Check the resistor 4k7 close to 2n7002 transistor close to memory.

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David

Maybe we found the problem. It could be the BAT54... Same error with the opamp with T or without T. On the hfpu, you remember.
Thee are 4 different BAT54... You use the S variant with 2 diodes serial. We ordered two wrong types. The standard with only one diode and the C variant. Both are wrong. So we must now organize the correct BAT54S and I hope the ody2 will work.
I'll report.

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David

It was the Schottky diodes!

Now Fpga starts! Because of Delivery problems, we ordered a "replacement" part, which was not s replacement, it was another part. The wrong one.
Shame on us....

Thanks for your analytics.

Now there must be installed some other parts for finishing. Than we'll see if the whole ody works.

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Firmware now is loaded. Bootloader Program works. But No connect to Thetis or SDR-Console. Maybe because the Ody 2 has a crazy MAC Address:

Hardware seems to be ok, Ethernet is connected with 1 Gbit/s and transfer of firmware was ok.

I can't test it with my Ody2, because it's built in in the case and there seems to be a problem with the connection of the key Plug. So I can't test it if it shows the same MAC. In thetis I see a real loocking one on my Ody.

vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hi, Reto
The kind of BAT54 is marked on the board, you can see there letter S.
Bad MAC address possibly is problem with 6 pin small microchip memory IC . Right side from FPgA.

David Fainitski

Write IP before use the board, even if you want to use standard IP .

Reto HB9TRT

I used standard ip. 192.168.2.160. And set Fixed Ip for Ethernet device in pc, 192.168.2.100, like I did on every ody2 i programmed. Programming of firmware to slot 1 or 2 works. As in Bootloader mode also ping to the ody2 works. So i wondering about the mac address. It also don't connects to an sdr software started.

So I'll Programm now all from the scratch again and look what happens.

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David,

from whwew the Ody2 get's the MAC Address? I read something in the Eterhnet Phy that the Mac Address vomes from a Memory chip.
If this is the case, could it be that the memory chip fails and so the Ody2 sees the MAC 11:22:33:44:55:66 ?

vy 73
Reto