DDC Module 2 in the UHSDR project

David Fainitski

Hello, people.

The original article is here, use the translator on the top of page:
http://www.sdr-deluxe.com/publ/cifrovoj_radiotrakt_transivera_ddc_module_2/1-1-0-78

Shortly, I have designed very small DDC module which able to change sound codec in existed projects like UHSDR, Sparrow...

It based on Altera Cyclone 10 FPGA, 14 bit ADC AD9649 and DAC AD9707. You can use also 12 bit version of ADC DAC.
I have installed it on my Sparrow SDR board :

And it works commonly:

The project is fully opened, you can order boards right now here if you want to assemply it https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/o6vrwTBa
But it is pretty expensive thing, has a price like 1/2 Sparrow SDR.

At this time I want to design my own board for Sparrow (N7DDC edition) in collaboration with Artur SP3OSJ. Actually I have done it, but will present after tests.
Also I will have to change OVI-40 firmware to get all the futures brang by DDC technology.

Ready for your questions and suggestions.

Reto HB9TRT

Hello David

I read a bit in the i40 forum about the ddc2 board and i40 project. I also see that Artur made a new ui for his Sparrow and also a ddc2 design which fits to this board.

Does your ddc2 board works now fine with the Sparrow? I think there's no tx part because the whole rx and tx is on the ddc2. So it's only an exciter for tx.

I have a nearly finished Sparrow ui and ask now if it's possible to add the ddc2 board.

The cyclone 10 has no applied solder balls? I see that Artur made some adapters for applying the balls. Seems to be a little complicated.

Vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hi, Reto.
I don't work on Sparrow at this time.
I have become IC-705 owner so I don't know  I need this.
Better ask Artur.
Every single new BGA chip has applied balls and ready to soldering.
Some people change new balls to lead kind before soldering, personally me is not agree with this practice.
I have a kit to assembly Sparrow from Artur and I am interested in all the info about this.
Please write here if you will have some progress about this.
I think other people would be interested too.

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David,

Ok, I also think that all new BGA's have solderballs preapplied. So, I also don't understand what Artur makes there ;)

Artur has a new SParrow UI I think Where a DDC Module can be placed or a WM8731. But I think there's now final stage jet. I'm sure Artur works hard on the RF board which is different from the old I40 rfboard with WM8731.

At the moment I look what happens there and also on the I40 project, where you also are a member I think. I read some posts there from you. Hope this project coms to run.

If I have more information about SParrow DDC I'll report it here.

vy 73
Reto

Davide Gerhard

Hi David,

your impression from IC-705?

Have a great day
/davide

Reto HB9TRT

The ic-705 seems to be a very interesting device.
I also interested of your experience with this small device.

Vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hi Reto, Davide.

IC-705 is a great product all-in-one, HF + VHF + UHF plus Digital Voice for any band.
"Must have" device if you like IC-7300, have 7300 and Icom portable with DV.
And also if you have "free"  $1500.
I bougth that only because couple thouthands $ just "dropped from the sky" to me before this NewYear.

If you have M0NKA or Sparrow and use DMR as digital protocol for VHF/UHF I don't see good reason to buy it.
Pretty week as SDR, same ads and dises as IC-7300, but has Bluetooth for audio input/output, WiFi for internet connection for DV and for remote control.
SD card to record your radio traffic.

Mine came with a defective speaker and I changed it at my own expense, but anyway I mean that is great solution for HAMs preffered do more practice, less engeneering.

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David,

Thanks for your report. The Size is really nice. BUt your right, I have in the meantime too much devices. Also A KX3 which I sometimes use for SOTA. But also the Sparrow is useable for Sota. For QO-100 (geostationary Satellite, maybe you know, but it don't reaches the USA) I use an IC 9700 and some Kuhne components, nothing self built.
Works good as far. 20W max output on 2.4 Ghz (Kune Up COnverter) and a good signal from the downconverter (10.5GHz).

vy 73
Reto