Topics

Buy Odyssey 2 SDR Kit

iz7wwy@...

Ciao

I met you recently while looking for hermes sdr. I would like a sdr with multiple receivers and I would also like to try the diversity mode. I think the Odyssey-2 may be the right choice. Is there a kit? Or someone who has one left? I have experience on manual smd assembly, it only blocks me BGA, and I can't find the right pieces.
Maurizio

Reto HB9TRT

Hello Maurizio

I only can help you with a PCB. In our group we build in the next weeks a Odyssey TRX. And I also can send you my Order List for Digikey and Mouser. The filter I ordered at mini-circuits in UK. And our kits are ready. There are many youtube videos how to solder the BGA. Also one from David. We have the same probem. How to solder the BGA. But I think it's possible. If not, you' may find a person near you, who is eqiped with the tools and can do this for you.
I also looking here, because I have no equipent at the moment. If I find one who does it for us, maybe he can do it also for you and I can send you a PCB with BGA installed. But at the moment this is only a theory. Im searching for a solution.

vy 73
Reto

Robson Pereira

Hi Reto,

Could you send me the Order List for Digikey and Mouser?

For BGA reflow, I plan using a Reflow Oven T962a ($300) and I think the smaller Reflow Oven T962 ($200) would work too.

You can also try ordering a stencil for the Odyssey2 from China. It costs $30 shipped but it took a month to arrive.

Here is the contact for the stencil (picture attached):

 Contact: nicole@...
 Order Number:SO200209123998-2916005A
 1 pcs $14.25
 Stencil issue 2916005A SO200209064
 Production file: Odyssey2-SO200209123998

73,
Rob

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 1:36 PM Reto HB9TRT <hb9trt@...> wrote:
Hello Maurizio

I only can help you with a PCB. In our group we build in the next weeks a Odyssey TRX. And I also can send you my Order List for Digikey and Mouser. The filter I ordered at mini-circuits in UK. And our kits are ready. There are many youtube videos how to solder the BGA. Also one from David. We have the same probem. How to solder the BGA. But I think it's possible. If not, you' may find a person near you, who is eqiped with the tools and can do this for you.
I also looking here, because I have no equipent at the moment. If I find one who does it for us, maybe he can do it also for you and I can send you a PCB with BGA installed. But at the moment this is only a theory. Im searching for a solution.

vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi Rob,

I can do that if it's in a aceptable layout. NOw I have the basket file of digikey, the mouser articles I have to add manualy. I'll put it here asap im ready with it.

Stencil: I think I don't need it because I'll solder the parts manualy. But maybe I change my mind and "cook" the Odyssey in the oven ;) Because this will not be a speed built project I have time. Now all parts arrived from Mouser and Digikey. So most parts are ready to solder. I miss only the filter modules.

vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Edited

Reto,  it is here
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mini-Circuits/RLP-50%2b?qs=xZ%2FP%252Ba9zWqZakUkAWb%2FLDg%3D%3D

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David,

You're right. This is for the USA ok, maybe some other countries also. But not for europa. MOuser can't sell this part to european customers. We have to order it at mini.circuits UK.

vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Delivery Restrictions: Mouser does not sell this product in your region.

vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi Rob,

There's no full email address for the stencil contact. Because we no decided to "cook" the pcb in a oven it makes sense to place the other components also to tghe board with solder paste. But I think it's no ned to apply solder paste to the BGA pads. SO the top side will be "produced" this way, tghe few parts on the backside manualy.

BOM: I'll send it on the weekend, because I have to edit it first. And: from some parts the number of parts are not correct. This is an intension, because this parts are cheaper if you take 10 oder 50 or 100 pieces and can be used later also in other projects (Resistores, Capacitors...) If you like to order only the numebers used for the project, you have to adjust the file.

It will be a pdf and/or csv. Maybe there's a possibility to share a basket in the digikey/mouser portal. I see this before. Very easy to order.

vy 73
Reto

Robson Pereira

Hi Reto,

The contact for the stencil is Nicole, email "nicole"  AT  "jlcpcb.com"

73,
Rob

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 11:43 PM Reto HB9TRT <hb9trt@...> wrote:
[...]

I ordered The Stecil, but I think I have to less time for all Parts. It should go fast if the solder paste is applied. I heared it should be "baked" maximum after 30 Minutes. So I think we only place the IC's and maybe resistor networks or other small parts. The rest as usual, soldering manual.

The project is now on ice because I have to wait for the equipment. And I must do some tests before I produce the Odyssey board. Some tests with smaller PCB's and with less expensive chips. Maybe a UI Board of a Sparrow or something like that.

vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

@Rob

Nicole can't help me with your order of the stencil. I don't know why. But I provided your Ordernumber, Do you have an Idea how to order the same stencil you ordered an jlcpcb?

vy 73
Reto

Robson Pereira

Reto,

In their website, they have an option to upload the PCB file directly. Nicole probably deleted the PCB from my order already.

I believe you would be able to upload the latest PCB into their website when ordering a stencil, the website recognized the PCB and generated the stencil order automatically.

Good luck !
Rob

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 1:16 PM Reto HB9TRT <hb9trt@...> wrote:
@Rob

Nicole can't help me with your order of the stencil. I don't know why. But I provided your Ordernumber, Do you have an Idea how to order the same stencil you ordered an jlcpcb?

vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi Rob,

I tried this, but it don't works. I got an email from an agent and they told me, that there was en error.

In the meantime i baked the BGA on the board and mounted som of the QFN's by hot air. In the i40 forum there was a big discussion about how to solder the QFN's without special equipment.
So I did it like this: I clean the pads, took all tin away, Put solder flux on the pads and a little bit new tin. The same on the QFN, clean and make tin to the pin pads. Again cleaning all. Then I aplly again some flux and put the QFN in place. Than I use the hot air gun (regulated) and heat until the qfn goes down. After that it was soldered. And some tests with the multimeter (diode mode and resistor mode) shows that it was ok.

I'll do it also with the rest of the QFN. But now I have no time to continue. The project is now on standby until bad weather ;)

vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi Rob

You told me earlier, that I have not the actual Gerber file. So I have now a little bit another layout. You told me about the zehner diode. On my layout there's no place for the Zehner. I think you provided a workaround. I look for this in this forum. I think I'll find it.

I also ordered a 100k ntc, but have no idea where to mount. I also find a difference in my board right of the final stage fets. Above the 18k resistor there's a pad with a dot and the letter T.
But on the board David shows in his assembly manual this pads don't exist. But the ntc is on the bom file.

So I'm a bit in trouble where to mount the ntc.

In my board the modification of the gate resistor instead of a 4.7 ohm resistor to take a 100nH coil is made, the pad has the a designator 100n and not 4.7 as in the assembly manual board.

So my board cold be a newer version, but I wonder why the pads for the Zehner are not present.

I have only some small work to do. Some resistors, caps and coils, and the mechanical parts. Rest is soldered. If I have another 3 hours the board will be finished.

The USB Blaster is here and works (the first was damaged), but I miss the pic programmer, this is on the way since weeks, but not arrived. Without this I can't start the board. So I'm not in hurry to finish it.

Vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hello, Reto.

If your board on the top right corner has "DF-05-18-US", you don't need to install zenner protecting diode (no place for it).
Also, you can programm PIC in simple high voltage mode.
Yes, the newest version does not have a zenner diode, it was present on all the older boards with no excluding.

Reto HB9TRT

Hello David,

Thanks for this info. I searched after the hint with the zener diode, because someone wrote, that I have to do è work around if there's no pad for mountings it. But I have the board with DF-05-18-US. So this is all OK.

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David,

Board is now 99.9% finished. I missed sôme parts which are not in stock at digikey. Some Caps with values 56p, 91p and 110p. Also the 50 Ohm Resistor (50R). But this was not on my BOM. Rest is finished. MCU and FPGA are not programed. Becaus if the missing pickit. Should arrive next week. I put 12V to the power socket and the powersupply tels me 2mA. I think this is "consumed" by the main DC/DC converter. I can measure 5V on some pins near the PIC. You wrote about 7mA. Maybe the programed PIC needs some more. It also can be, that the display on my powersupply is not accurate. I'll measure the current again with the multimeter later. Maybe there's a workarround to bypass the pic? for programming the FPGA...But i also can wait until the programer arrives.
I Also have no DIsplay. I ordered it 6 weeks ago. And it's allready on the way. No idea how long this takes. I also built your 100W atu yesterday and there I also need a display.
Now I found one at mouser i2c bus. hope it works. All the missing parts and the oled display should arrive at monday.

On some part's I was not 100% sure if it's correct, because not all has a label. Some I found on your desctiption, and some I have to combine with the situation (2 rx paths, must be the same parts on both). and label 200 i guessed this is a resistor. Also I changed the caps in the main DC/DC converter with higher rated values. I have 25V and also 50V caps. So they have all much higher voltage values than needed.

After building I try to make a new Bom. I can compare the ordered parts and the rest of the parts. Because I ordered at least 10 or 20 of each value, also for those I only use on or two. Exept of the expensive parts. There I only ordered the needed parts.

Next chalenge will be the software loading and starting the board. I read here and in your russian forum that this could also be tricky. And if there's something wrong, finding errors may be very difficult. I hope all QFN and the BGA are soldered well ;)

My friends in the german forum and my HB friends don't start building. I had 20 boards and most of them are now at annother OM who will build the Odyssey. I'm the first. And so, we hope that soon nearly 20 new odysseys are running. ;)

You see, the project is not finished. If the forst works, I maybe build another, because I have some boards left.

vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hello, Reto.
50 Ohm chip resistors are very rare and expensive. Use 49 Ohm instead.
You don't need to use Digi-Key numbers from that BOM list, those numbers oftenly changing for the same parts. Use part selector to find what you need.

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David,

Ok, i have seen it ;) This parts where not expensive and maybe I use it on another project. If I don't need much time for "repair" and search fauults, I'll make a new BOM for the newest board and upload it, as I said.

There are several small channges if I read in different forums, I think this (or most?) are corrected in the actual board.

Vy 73
Reto