Topics

assembling Ody 2 & Magic T

Marc olanie

Hi

I just finished playing "bom collector" and was wondering how much people built their own ody2 from component level? This question for a simple reason : we could certainly create a specific thread dedicated to "assembly/soldering/boxing" etc. This way, people who are assembling a board will certainly feel a little less alone and lost and people who already did it could certainly "elmer" newcomers.

Second question : I couldn't find any documentation (and BOM) concerning the "Magic T" frontend . Any info about it ?

Many thanks
Marc

dan edwards

Marc. la voila:

The Magic-Tee

i like the last one best; sometimes called an 'inverting magic T' since
 the 2 outputs are 180 degrees out of phase.  we deployed them successfully
 at w5wmu multi op to share beverages between 80 and 160m stations.

plus, it only needs one core!

73, bon chance, w5xz, dan

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 01:04:50 AM CDT, Marc olanie <Marc.olanie@...> wrote:

Hi

I just finished playing "bom collector" and was wondering how much people built their own ody2 from component level? This question for a simple reason : we could certainly create a specific thread dedicated to "assembly/soldering/boxing" etc. This way, people who are assembling a board will certainly feel a little less alone and lost and people who already did it could certainly "elmer" newcomers.

Second question : I couldn't find any documentation (and BOM) concerning the "Magic T" frontend . Any info about it ?

Many thanks
Marc

dan edwards

aussi...re 'bom'..

with my dg8saq vna, i found a small bn73202
 binocular core, with 7 turn primary, and 10 turn,
 center tapped, secondary, covered the low bands
 very nicely. a 39 ohm resistor works fine, for R, since
 most low cost rg6 measures closer to 78 ohms,
 for me anyway, on low bands..

a 43 mix core might play all the way to 6 meters, peut etre?
 and 25 ohms R, would make it 50 ohms in and out, also, of course..

que pensez vous?  73, w5xz

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 01:04:50 AM CDT, Marc olanie <Marc.olanie@...> wrote:

Hi

I just finished playing "bom collector" and was wondering how much people built their own ody2 from component level? This question for a simple reason : we could certainly create a specific thread dedicated to "assembly/soldering/boxing" etc. This way, people who are assembling a board will certainly feel a little less alone and lost and people who already did it could certainly "elmer" newcomers.

Second question : I couldn't find any documentation (and BOM) concerning the "Magic T" frontend . Any info about it ?

Many thanks
Marc

Marc olanie

Howdy Dan

Ce que j’en pense 😊

In fact, I was speaking about the « Magic Tee » designed by David (in the Layout6 bunch of files located on his Github repo). I think he’s using approximately the same kind of transformer, but I would like to know the values of the input filter

(in other words the value of L1-L3 and C1-C3, and the nature of the « S » component). It’s pobably an LPF centered on 60 MHz

Totally agreed concerning all sorts of input bridges for measurement… I’m using a bunch of classical resistive couplers (Y and Delta) and some « old school » MCL coupler on my different analyzers (VNWA, N2PK, MSA).

Thanks Daniel and VY 73’

De Marc f6itu

[...]

These questions particularly for David

- On the board I received,, the trace between a gpio and his via, located in the middle of the fpga, is cut (it looks like a scalpel cut) . Is it normal  (post-production patch) or is it an accident during the first assembly process or the shippping ?

(the highlited trace in the attached picture it the one cut on the pcb)

- As Layout 6 is a proprietary software and the demo version does not allow to export or print anything, could you please add to your github repository the full Gerber collection (with the solderpaste mask layer) ?

I failed trying to solder the fpga due to two reasons :
- the presence of already soldered peripheral components (it's absolutely impossible to use a bga stencil).
- the poor quality of the soldermask (many vias had no "tenting" on the BGA footprint, causing 2 shorts seen when x-raying the final result)

That's the reason why I would really appreciate using these Gerber and I think I won't be the only one :- )

Do not get me wrong, David. This is NOT a criticism of your work, you have proven for a long time the reliability of your projects since the first version of HiQSDR. These problem are just manufacturing gremlins

Cheers
Marc f6itu

David Fainitski

Edited

Hello, Marc
I have uploaded gerber files to my GitHab repository. I hope it will helpfull.

Inner 4 x 4 pads connected to ground so shorting or breaking is not matter. the sculpel cut is not my job, likely it is PCB manufacturing job, known as "visual testing, for free for each order".

I don't know for what you need to use a stencil for FPGA soldering. For what ?  For applaying a soldering paste ? Please find one video on YouTube where stencil is using for BGA soldering, I wanna see this.

I have watched one of my boards very  curefully and found couple vias with no filling. I did not pay attention to it before. But it is not serious reason for soldering fail.  Probably you use bad flux which boils and bubbles. Try ChipQuick SMD291NL, this is the best. Or AMTECH VS-213-A-TF.

David

Leo Goto

Hi David,

I made the Oddyssey2 unit 2(PCB v1.2), but Thetis does not recognize
Odyssey2. Odyssey 2 Unit 1(PCB v1.1) is working properly.

Thetis has never been able to find odyssey2.
It seems that there is a problem with the hardware?
Each power supply voltage and clock are operating normally. The LINK LED is also on.
It seems that there is no problem with the soldering of the LAN controller.
Check the point C2 is 0.93V

Odyssey_2_1.04_ANP and MCU_FW Odyssey2 not find.
Odyssey_2_1.06_ANP and MCU_FW Odyssey2 not find.
Odyssey_2_1.10_ANP and MCU_FW Odyssey2 not find.
Odyssey_2_1.11_ANP and MCU_FW Odyssey2 not find.
Odyssey_BL_2.0 and MCU_FW2.0 BootLoader_2.0.pyw. not find.
attched photo.
Odyssey_BL_2.2 and MCU_FW2.1 BootLoader_2.2.pyw. not find.
attched photo.

Thanks, Leo/WH2Q

--
Leo Gotoh <LeoGoto@...>
http://travelx.org

David Fainitski

Hello, Marc.
My congrats.

At first please redownload Bootloader 2.1 from my GitHub and change Bootloader.pof on the board with ByteBlaster programmer and Quartus.
Connect the board with PC by Ethernet and run it in bootloader mode - connect to KEY your headphones, temporary.
Look on the green test leds. First one should blink with 1 sec period, second one should glow solid if connection speed 1Gbit, blink slowly if connection 100Mbit and blink fast if no connection.
If you see that connection speed is 1Gbit, open ip V4 Network properties of this connection on PC and make sure that IP set as 192.168.2.100 and Mask set as 255.255.255.0 (by default).
Then use right Bootloader_2.1.pyw from that archive from Github.
After successfull test firstly write IP even if you want to use existing IP, only one time for new board.

After that you can dowload latest firmware ANP 1.20 from GitHub and upload rbf file to slot 1 with  Bootloader_2.1.pyw

Good luck