Andromeda Controller with Ody2

Reto HB9TRT

Edited

Does anybody uses the Andromeda controller with Ody2

I will try it, but I'm not sure it works. But after some discussion with the author LA2NI it should work.
So I let produce boards for the controller and try it.
The Andromeda controller is open-source and all is available for download, schematics, Gerber files and the source code for the arduino nano every.

I also try to build the controller mk2 (same as controller V2 from apache labs) with built in raspberry pi. But the Andromeda controller is more interesting, because of the higher resolution 7 inch screen (1024x600) and a pc or nuc instead of the rPI. There are 7 encoders, And much keys which are free programmable (thetis).
6 encoders are dual encoders. So 12 encoder functions are available. 1 encoder is for VFO. It's an optical one.

If there's anybody tried this before, he's welcome to share his knowledge about this.

Vy 73
Reto

Steven Wilson

I am using thetis in the andromeda mode with a home brew controller. As long as you are using the latest version of thetis there shouldn't be an issue. The interface from the controller is to thetis not Ody2.

73 Steve ka6s

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020, 2:19 PM Reto HB9TRT <hb9trt@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Hello Steven

Thanks for your answer. I should get the boards tomorrow from production. I'll build the original Andromeda controller board v5f. I think this should work, all connections to the Orion board should also work with the ody2. This are only connections to mic, speaker, phone, CW Key.

Rest should go through the USB to thetis.

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

I nearly finished the Andromeda controller for my Ody2 and it works perfectly.
Now I wait for the dual rotary encoders and Knobs and the aps for the keys. We now on the design of the frontpanel (not the PCB), which shold be 2mm Ali anodied. Also the case. At the moment we only plan a controller not a box like the andromeda transceiver. About 3cm deep with variable stand.

vy 73
Reto

Davide Gerhard

Reto HB9TRT <hb9trt@gmail.com> writes:

I nearly finished the Andromeda controller for my Ody2 and it works perfectly.
Now I wait for the dual rotary encoders and Knobs and the aps for the keys. We now on the design of the frontpanel (not the PCB), which shold be 2mm Ali anodied. Also the case. At the moment we only plan a controller not a box like the andromeda transceiver. About 3cm deep with variable stand.
Very nice! Congratulation!
Can you post a link (if available) with schematics, board, BOM and so on?
Do you have an estimate BOM total cost?

Reto HB9TRT

Hello Davide,

I can provide that. It's open source.

The most expensive parts ar:
- Display (you can also take a cheap china 7 Inch display but it's not so brilliant and you don't have the possibility to dim the display).
- Dual Rotary Encoders
- Knobs
- Maybe also the optical encoder, except you take this one I used in the picture (China model).

The BOM is also on the GITHUB. But withput the Knobs and Caps. This was not easy, I ordered som, and test if they work. They should arrive in the next days.

If you use the big optical china encoder, You have to cut out the marked whole in the PCB. My one has a short Shaft, so I have to mount it in the aluminium frontpanel. So I have to cut out the big whole. If you have one with a longer shaft, you have to cut out only a smaller whole. Maybe I search one witn the longer shaft. But it's also not bad, if the encoder is fix mmounted on the alu front, more stable.

https://github.com/laurencebarker/Andromeda_front_panel

Take the version 5f, this is the latest one for the arduino nano every. The older ones uses a arduino due but the firmware will no longer supported. Firmware ist an arduino sketch and well documented. So it's easy to make changes.

I test some functions, until now all works, also "mute" of the headphone on the Ody. And so on.

There's a pushbutton starts the Display, and offers 12V (or what you provide on the input) switched. So you can start the Ody2 at pressing Power on the panel to and also PA and with some mods also the NUC and maybe other devices. Schematics is also included.
The Gerbers are made with an old version of Ultiboard (I guess 5.7) and can't be shown propperly in other applications. But the PCB Producer (boktech) can handle this format. I discussed this with the autor of the PCB (LA2NI). But He used this version since 20 Years and it works for him. A new licence is very expensive.

I did not calculate the total costs jet. We plan to produce some more of them for selling (complete or only case). But there's no time horizont.

vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

All knobs and encoders (except VFO) can programmed free with any functions offered in Thetis (Andromeda mode). Also the LED indicators and the Menu buttons on bottom of the screen.

Reto HB9TRT

Knobs and Caps:

I tried this on: from Aliexpress

vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Here an hires Picture

Reto HB9TRT

Edited

And here the Display (Digikey), this display fits perfect into the pcb::

Reto HB9TRT

So a last remark:

This is the original board, which is used in apache labs Andromeda. So it's possible to create an own Andromeda with Ody-2 and HPFU-100 instead of orion board and its PA and Tuner.

vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

There's also a project with a raspberry PI built in in the controller. Also open source. The finished product is availlable from apache labs and is called Controller V2. But also possible to build with all information needed on github. Thias controller works directly with the ODY. No PC or NUC needed.
There's a thetis version made for the Raspi and it's 7 Inch LCD with 800x480 Pixel. The Andromeda Project useres a IPS Screnn with 1024x800 Pixel resolution.

vy 73
Reto

Davide Gerhard

Thank you very much for such a long explanation Reto!
I will investigate the feasibility after I conclude some other projects.

[...]

One step ahead... Front is ready. The correct knobs for the dual encoder are missing. I have knobs but they are to big. Works, but smaller would be better.

Vy 73
Reto

Davide Gerhard

Reto HB9TRT <hb9trt@gmail.com> writes:

One step ahead... Front is ready. The correct knobs for the dual encoder are missing. I have knobs but they are to big. Works, but smaller would be better.
Such a beautiful work! Congratulation Reto!!

dan edwards

wow that looks 'store bought', as K5LC would say !!

congrats, 73, w5xz, dan

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 02:37:56 PM CST, Reto HB9TRT <hb9trt@...> wrote:

One step ahead... Front is ready. The correct knobs for the dual encoder are missing. I have knobs but they are to big. Works, but smaller would be better.

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi Dan

Thanks. It was a lot of work until now and it's not finished. I think in a month or less I can present here the finished trx. All In a box. 316mm wide, 147mm hight and 300mm deep. Also place for 2 transverter. The transverter will come later, but I create the case for it.

Next week I'll order the case material. A professional company will do this for me because I can't it myself.

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Edited

Hi Davide

All you need is in the GITHUB. I only changed something in the front plate. This was not very accurate. So I had to measure it from the Gerber file. And the most work is the complete housing which is not finished jet. It's nearly finished, I think I can do it today and order the parts next week.

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

The Frontpanel is made by Schäffer AG, Germany. For us customers they have a company in Seattle which is able to produce the same quality frontpanels. Maybe cheaper than in Germany.

https://www.frontpanelexpress.com

I send the file in the next post, which you can edit with front panel designer, download on the site of  frontpanel express. If you want personalize your panel change my callsign to yours or delete it.

Here a picture of the actual print panel, including 2 different dual encoder knobs, conical or cylinder, and a vfo knob from elecraft (from the kx3)

The dual encoder knobs are available from me. If someone need this knobs. Also PCB's for Andromeda controller and controller mk2 (PIHPSDR).

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Here is the file for the front panel.