Topics

Is this project active?

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David

I'm near to finish assembling the board. The pictures in your article helps very much, but my board differs from the one of the picture.
I have a 100kOhm term NTC. I guess it comes right to the final stage fet. There's a pad with a dot and T. Is this correct?

Than I also have two different 10uF caps. 25V and 10V. I can't see any positions for 25V. Maybe I should exchange the 10V with 25V? And the 10V are wrong in the bom?

The 25 Ohm resistor I used a 24.9 Ohm. This should be fine.

Vy 73
Reto

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David,

Yes I read it and I have it printed. But I made a sepeate Print of the Picture for assembling, and got the wrong one, sorry for the question.
At the moment I stop builting, because I must find a better way to solder the QFN's. I have a solution now, and waiting for a part.
And if the weather get's better the project will be on standby. It's something for rainy times ;)

vy 73
Reto

David Fainitski

Hello,  Reto.
I thought you have rad this article before start to assembly a board...
http://ody-sdr.com/2017/10/15/location-of-the-components-on-the-odyssey-2-transceiver-board/

Reto HB9TRT

Hi David,

I start the project yesterday with soldering the BGA. It seems to be ok placed, no shorts so far and i can measure some pins working. So I think it's ok.

I also have your picture from the board in russia. The picture of zhe board where I marked the IC's which are not named on the board. Theres one below a shield on the right side. This has "no name" on the picture.

Reto HB9TRT

I don't write since a few days, but the project is no starting. At least 10 Odysseys will be built in HB and DL next weeks. I have all parts (exept the filters, they arrive in 1 or two weeks) here. Also a T962 Oven for soldering the BGA. I planed also to solder a few parts at the same time, some chips, but I can't get a stencil for the board. There seems to give some problems with the file in the GERBER for producing the stencil.

vy 73
Reto

Robson Pereira

Hi David,

The part list for Hermes Lite is pretty cheap as they are using a 12-bit modem chip which costs $5  :)

While Ody-2 uses more sophisticated components.

73,
Rob

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 10:06 PM David Fainitski <rolin791@...> wrote:
Hello,  Rob
Yeah,  for Hermes Lite the price is pretty reasonable,  but not for Ody-2.

David Fainitski

Hello,  Rob
Yeah,  for Hermes Lite the price is pretty reasonable,  but not for Ody-2.

Robson Pereira

Hi David,

I suspect that if we contact makerfabs in China and provide PCB, Part List and some support, they would probably be able to sell the complete product at reasonable price (guessing $700 with enclosure)

They fabricate Hermes Lite 2

73,
Rob

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 2:30 PM David Fainitski <rolin791@...> wrote:
Hello, Reto
Here you can find a BGA soldering masterclass wich I've done couple weeks ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bylXoYtRao&t=4s

You have to use the latest version of Bootloader FW and MCU FW. You can have up to 3 different working FW in this device at the same time, preffered to use the latest version but it is not important.
The latest version of working FW may have important opernHPSDR protocol updates.

I am current owner and user Odyssey-2 and if it becomes necessary to correct a mistake or modify something, I will do it very quickly.

Reto HB9TRT

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your answer. Yes, we stand at the total beginning. complex solderwork is normaly no problem, but BGA is the firt time, and before I kill a over 100$ chip I first make some prepeartions, and look arround how others did this work. It's completely no need to finish this project in the next days. I also thinking of buying a cheap BGP soldering "machine", because we built here several pieces because we are an international group of HAM's who built together since years. Most of them comes from the UHSDR project. We bult many boards and complete TRX based on the UHSDR software, but som with modifications or other formfactors. Also a very nice project and much easier than the odyssey, but also not for beginners.
The last TRX I built is a Sparrow 4 Inch. Also very portable (formfactor of a KX2 from Elecraft), 20W output and all HAM Bands (6m only RX or very littel output, because the PA is not usable for 6m). There's a 4 Inch Touch Display with Waterfall and Spectrum and many other nice functions like built in FreeDV.

Left: SParrow 3.5 Inch
Right: Sparrow 4 Inch

Vy 73
Reto/HB9trt

Leo Goto

Hi Reto,

For FPGA soldering, in my case I set the hot plate to 240 degrees and
put it on the hot plate for about 3 minutes. Then raise the board up.
The point is to raise it so that it doesn't slip when you give it above.
Also, instead of placing the board directly, it is placed on a jig made
of aluminum plate and can be moved by hand.
I made two Odyssey and two Odyssey2. David gave me a lot of advice on
how to make it. Thank you very much.
I don't have a photo that I made soldering, but here is a photo after
soldering.

http://travelx.org/DSP_Radio/Odyssey/DSCN2858.JPG
http://travelx.org/DSP_Radio/Odyssey/IMG_20170829_132909.jpg
http://travelx.org/DSP_Radio/Odyssey2/dyssey2_fpga.jpg

Regards, Leo/WH2Q 73.

On Tue, 26 May 2020 00:15:12 -0700
"Reto HB9TRT" <hb9trt@...> wrote:

Hello David,

Thanks for your Answer. I wathced the Video, but don't understand you speaking ;) But I see the video and I think I have understand how to do it now. It seems impossible to work without preeheating plate. So I'll looking for any or for a cheap BGA station. maybe in future I'll need it more times.
The Odyssey project is very interesting and so we decided here to start this also, after a few years you present it. Because most infos are in russian language it was not quite esay to collect all information. BUt think google translate we also had a chance to read your Forum/website. Finaly I found this group here which ist in english.

now i think we can start the project. most parts are ordered at digikey and mouser. Some from other places, because not found at this two distributors.

Hope we have success with this project. It's the first time working with a BGA, and also building a direct sampler. The last projects are mchf based, UHSDR and also similar projects from SP3OSJ. Also very interesting stand alone TRX, but no direct samplers ;)

vy 73
Reto

--
Leo Gotoh <LeoGoto@...>
http://travelx.org

Reto HB9TRT

[...]

A few HAM's from Europa (HB, DL and maybe some other countries) starts now to build an Odyssey II. We also made some PCB's from your distributed GERBERs and are ready to start soldering. Most of us never soldered a BGA before and we discussed how to do this or if it's better to search help from a professinal who made this before. All other soldering work is possible for homeworkers.
We have the board revision from your Gerber files provided in git hub. I also read your forum and all the hints you gave there for building. Including some mods.

Which firmware is the right one we should choose and which bootloader?

Is the project really finished, or do you plan some firmware upgrades in future?

vy 73
Reto

Robson Pereira

3 RX ports: RX1, RX2 and RX3 (optional)
R1 used in the RXTX switch connected to the TX antenna
RX2 and RX3 connected to receiving antennas for phasing or diversity

Robson Pereira

Hi David,

Would you consider a new revision in the future with the help of volunteers assigned to tasks such as documentation (schematics, howto, guidelines), bring-up, boot-loading, Verilog firmware, software porting, debugging, enhancements, etc?

Here is a Odyssey-3 Wish List :

 - FPGA with 150K LE similar to Apache Labs Orion MKII (FPGA alone costs $480 on Digi-Key)
 - 3 Receivers (the 3rd receiver as optional)

This update would put this project at the same level as the outstanding top-performer Apache-Labs Orion MKII board which is sold for $1,700 alone.

I suspect the Odyssey 3 would cost less than $1K if the builder is careful when sourcing parts.

It would be used as a powerful SDR DSP platform, a VNA and an amateur radio.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM David Fainitski <rolin791@...> wrote:
Hello.
This project has been completed. Everyone who wanted already assembled it.

David Fainitski

Hello.
This project has been completed. Everyone who wanted already assembled it.

Robson Pereira

It seems to be a great project and well designed. It is complicated as expected. Is it active, please say yes :)