Topics

Odyssey-2 on Linux

Neoklis Kyriazis

Hi all

After all this time since buying one of the first Odyssey-2's, I now find my self ready to get it going. But on a Linux platform will be difficult. I have successfully compiled ghpsdr but it will not discover the Ody-2 rig. I don't know if ghpsdr can work with the Odyssey-2 as it is, in the original state it was when it went on sale.

I guess were I need help at this stage is about the steps needed to make Ody-2 ready to work. I am not sure whether any firmware need to be loaded first before ghpsdr is started, or whether it includes code to initialize Ody-2 itself.

I would be grateful for any info or hints on this, perhaps by anyone who succeeded with Odyssey-2 on Linux.

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ

Steven Wilson

Look at PiHPSDR and LinHPSDR - both can talk to the ODY2.

Steve

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 10:11 AM Neoklis Kyriazis via Groups.Io <nkcyham=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all

After all this time since buying one of the first Odyssey-2's, I now find my self ready to get it going. But on a Linux platform will be difficult. I have successfully compiled ghpsdr but it will not discover the Ody-2 rig. I don't know if ghpsdr can work with the Odyssey-2 as it is, in the original state it was when it went on sale.

I guess were I need help at this stage is about the steps needed to make Ody-2 ready to work. I am not sure whether any firmware need to be loaded first before ghpsdr is started, or whether it includes code to initialize Ody-2 itself.

I would be grateful for any info or hints on this, perhaps by anyone who succeeded with Odyssey-2 on Linux.

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

dan edwards

btw, your neighbor 5B4ALJ is a regular on 160m...easy to work, and seems to hear
 very well..

73, w5xz, dan

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 12:11:39 PM CST, Neoklis Kyriazis via Groups.Io <nkcyham@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Steven,

Both ghpsdr and linhpsdr fail with the following error message:

discovery: recvfrom socket failed for discover_receive_thread: Resource temporarily unavailable

It could be that Ody-2 is not responding to the application's requests for data for some reason.

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Steven Wilson

Try setting g a static IP in ody2. I had issue with DHCP. Also run both into a switch not a router. I have run both pieces of software with my ody2 just fine.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019, 12:53 PM Neoklis Kyriazis via Groups.Io <nkcyham=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
Thanks Steven,

Both ghpsdr and linhpsdr fail with the following error message:

discovery: recvfrom socket failed for discover_receive_thread: Resource temporarily unavailable

It could be that Ody-2 is not responding to the application's requests for data for some reason.

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Sid Boyce

I run mine on a gigabit switch. You can assign a static IP address https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Protocol2-Programmers/releases
HPSDRProgrammer_web_v0.2.7_linux.tar.gz

slipstream:/c1/usr/src/XXX/HPSDRProgrammer_web_v0.2.7 # ./HPSDRProgrammer_web
2019/02/07 01:04:50     For a list of commands use --help

2019/02/07 01:04:50 RBF directory /root/Downloads/HPSDRfiles/
2019/02/07 01:04:50 Listening ...
2019/02/07 01:04:50 Point your web browser to: http://localhost:8228/intro/

I  found this when I  accidentally changed it's static IP address to that of Hermes and had to change it back.

73 ... Sid.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019, 12:53 PM Neoklis Kyriazis via Groups.Io <nkcyham=yahoo.com@groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks Steven,

Both ghpsdr and linhpsdr fail with the following error message:

discovery: recvfrom socket failed for discover_receive_thread:
Resource temporarily unavailable

It could be that Ody-2 is not responding to the application's
requests for data for some reason.

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Neoklis Kyriazis

OK, thanks to everyone for the response. I will try the tips and also try a better Ethernet cable, it may not be good enough for 1 GHz. I have the Ody connected directly to my computer's Ethernet socket.

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Neoklis Kyriazis

I run mine on a gigabit switch. You can assign a static IP address
https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Protocol2-Programmers/releases
HPSDRProgrammer_web_v0.2.7_linux.tar.gz
I tried it but it also doesn't talk to the Odyssey. I changed the Ethernet
cable too, to a Cat 6 to be sure but it makes no difference.

Unfortunately I have no experience with Ethernet and networking so I am
finding it difficult to troubleshoot. Here is what I have found out so far:

The firmware in my Odyssey is the original AOP 1.10.

If I disable dhcp, ifconfig only reports the lo local interface. Don't know if
this means that Ody doesn't have a static IP address?

If I run dhcpcd, ifconfig reports Ody's Ethernet connection with an IP address
of 169.254.169.245 so presumably there is some communication with Ody?

I am not sure, is the Odyssey-2 in its original "factory" condition as sold, ready
to work or should I be loading FPGA firmware each time I want to use it?

Pardon my ignorance! and thanks in advance.

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Steven Wilson

Nick,

I have never gotten the direct connection to work - even with the Static IP assignment to the ODY2.

Maybe Sid has other experience??  (Hi Sid!!!)

I run my system into a switch which is also attached to a router that has a DHCP master.  The ODY2 originally had an issue with DHCP - so I assigned a static IP.. and it has remained that way for over a year.  My system gets its IP address from the DHCP master. It then can route packets to the same switch as the ODY2 is attached and they see each other as they are in the same sub-net.

I have done an experiment where I gave my Windows system a static IP and direct connected to the ODY2. Didn't work.

Steve

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 3:11 AM Neoklis Kyriazis via Groups.Io <nkcyham=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>I run mine on a gigabit switch. You can assign a static IP address
>https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Protocol2-Programmers/releases
>HPSDRProgrammer_web_v0.2.7_linux.tar.gz
I tried it but it also doesn't talk to the Odyssey. I changed the Ethernet
 cable too, to a Cat 6 to be sure but it makes no difference.

Unfortunately I have no experience with Ethernet and networking so I am
finding it difficult to troubleshoot. Here is what I have found out so far:

The firmware in my Odyssey is the original AOP 1.10.

If I disable dhcp, ifconfig only reports the lo local interface. Don't know if
this means that Ody doesn't have a static IP address?

If I run dhcpcd, ifconfig reports Ody's Ethernet connection with an IP address
of 169.254.169.245 so presumably there is some communication with Ody?

I am not sure, is the Odyssey-2 in its original "factory" condition as sold, ready
to work or should I be loading FPGA firmware each time I want to use it?

Pardon my ignorance! and thanks in advance.

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Volker Debus

Try setting the Ethernet speed of your PC NIC to 100MBit (fixed). That helped me using Windows as OS.

Neoklis Kyriazis via Groups.Io <nkcyham@...> schrieb am 12:11 Donnerstag, 7.Februar 2019:

>I run mine on a gigabit switch. You can assign a static IP address
>https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Protocol2-Programmers/releases
>HPSDRProgrammer_web_v0.2.7_linux.tar.gz
I tried it but it also doesn't talk to the Odyssey. I changed the Ethernet
cable too, to a Cat 6 to be sure but it makes no difference.

Unfortunately I have no experience with Ethernet and networking so I am
finding it difficult to troubleshoot. Here is what I have found out so far:

The firmware in my Odyssey is the original AOP 1.10.

If I disable dhcp, ifconfig only reports the lo local interface. Don't know if
this means that Ody doesn't have a static IP address?

If I run dhcpcd, ifconfig reports Ody's Ethernet connection with an IP address
of 169.254.169.245 so presumably there is some communication with Ody?

I am not sure, is the Odyssey-2 in its original "factory" condition as sold, ready
to work or should I be loading FPGA firmware each time I want to use it?

Pardon my ignorance! and thanks in advance.

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Neoklis Kyriazis

I have never gotten the direct connection to work - even with the Static IP
assignment to the ODY2.
I have done an experiment where I gave my Windows system a static IP and
direct connected to the ODY2. Didn't work.
Thanks Steve, that might explain my difficulties. I will also try the hint of reducing
speed to 100M as well. Pity there are such problems though, perhaps USB might
have been better...

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Sid Boyce

e.g in Ubuntu ... You can try configuring a static IP address to the Ethernet port using the GUI, something I have not tried.

Connect the cat6 cable.

"ifconfig -a" should show the interface name, e.g eth0 and if you want it on e.g 192.168.10 subnet

sudo ip addr add 192.168.10.0/24 dev eth0 sudo ip link set dev eth0 up Then I ran ./HPSDRProgrammer_web and wrote the IP address in the browser.

This is what I did for my ODY-2 from  a laptop where the Ethernet port was not connected or configured.

73 ... Sid.

Neoklis Kyriazis via Groups.Io <nkcyham=yahoo.com@groups.io> schrieb am 12:11 Donnerstag, 7.Februar 2019:

[...]

Thank you Sid. I will try this too after the thunderstorm we are in!
Have to cut off electricity to protect equipment...

--
[...]

Thunderstorms gone (for now), tried it but no luck. Either I really must
use a switch or there is something wrong with Ody-2.

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Sid Boyce

That's weird as the first time I set mine up it was laptop Gigabit port --> ODY-2.

I remember the winter downpours there back in the 1966 - 1969, absolutely great summers ... was ZC4AB at RAF Episkopi. Found the RAF reissues the callsigns and I met another ZC4AB there in 1992 and there was at least one other holder of that callsign before me.
My last holiday there was in 1992, keep promising to visit.
73 ... Sid.

On 08/02/2019 13:46, Neoklis Kyriazis via Groups.Io wrote:
e.g in Ubuntu ... You can try configuring a static IP address to the
Ethernet port using the GUI, something I have not tried.
Thunderstorms gone (for now), tried it but no luck. Either I really must
use a switch or there is something wrong with Ody-2.

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Neoklis Kyriazis

That's weird as the first time I set mine up it was laptop Gigabit
port --> ODY-2.
Hmm, in that case I will have to try some more. I used my desktop
(only a Compulab fitPC4) but with dhcpcd disabled. I will try my
laptop too, in case there is some hardware issue.

I remember the winter downpours there back in the 1966 - 1969,
Yes, in those days it was more rainy. In fact many people feel that
this winter reminds them of that era, we had (have!) a really rainy
weather. But frequent thunderstorms force me to cut off electricity
and unplug everything. Lost some gear including my old computer,
Yaesu power supply, laser printer, roof fans, garage door motor etc
after a direct hit on power cables. And one pine tree in my garden!
( I live in Souni, a few km north of Episkopi).

73's

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Sid Boyce

Another thing to try, instal isc-dhcp-server so you can get an IP address for the PC and hopefully the ODY-2 when you reboot.
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/dhcp.html.en

Wow! Back then we had lots of rain during the Winter only but nothing that disruptive.
OK, you are North of Erimi village.
73 ... Sid.

On 08/02/2019 17:29, Neoklis Kyriazis via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

OK, I will try that too. This may also be relevant although its for
Windoze and ANAN rigs:
http://www.w1aex.com/anan/anan.html#network

OK, you are North of Erimi village.
Wow!, you know my geography better than me...;-)

--
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

David Fainitski

Hello, Neoklis.

It would be good idea to change the Bootloader to new Bootloader 2.0. This allows you to flexibly manage parameters with the simple Pyton's program under Linux.

Also you will to have the possibility write 2 different firmwares (up to 3) and change them fast after restart Ody.

You will need ALTERA USB Blaster for downloading Bootloader 2.0 firmware.

Read here about this  http://ody-sdr.com/2018/05/06/the-bootloader-2-0-for-odyssey-2/

Also you will need to use Pickit 3 from Microchip for flashing PIC processor with new firmware.

David