Topics

O/T Photos from the unique Alpine railway Jindabyne - Perisher Valley - Blue Cow Mountain

Steve W

Edited

Greetings all - myself and the wife did a week long trip covering 3500 km in
the last week. We detoured well wide of Sydney where the threat of Covid-19
is looming ominously, as it may do here in Queensland due to some woeful
behaviours. On this trip I was able to revisit a few "mothballed" railways
in NSW. A few interesting photos to come in the future.

I digress, Jindabyne (New South Wales) isolated section of railway running
about 11.5km approx. up a 12.5% grade tunnel lifting skiers above the
snowline in winter. On the line there is 1.3km of track with a crossing loop
at the bottom of 2 tunnels totalling 8.5km in length according to my guide.
There's a station in the tunnel dropping you in the epicentre of Perisher
Valley which is where we got off. Trains can also pass here where there are
2 platforms. I didn't go the full length of the trip up to Blue Cow
Mountain.

I had always imagined that this would be a cablecar similar to Wellington.
the EMUs run on DC power and standard gauge rail. Its runs under New South
Railway rules and maybe operated by them. This isolated railway is at least
150+km from the nearest operating railway. It felt weird at the time running
a very suburban EMU on a centre rail and the trip up was quicker than coming
down. There were a couple of decent bridges between the tunnel and the
station at the bottom over a distance of a couple of km. Well worth a visit
in winter to see and ride on the railway, according to my guide it was paid
for by private enterprise and Skiers pay $80 to ride it. The EMU stock
looks similar to the old Perth DMU stock when it first arrived in New
Zealand for Auckland.

Apologies is some photos are in lower res - had to do this to fit them into
one email and I doubt if many of you will want to save them anyway.

If you're interested

<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSkit
ube_Alpine_Railway%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2jDv8Q1CpiDbc8_lfscX7_7ao0Ue6znPzopI6F66qE
-udqGUIh4cZwo2A&h=AT2-DSBkFOhuzP66QeK7HYNBlVxmjb-qqMIlzyiYnGGUpxalGlYEBNaNYy
QBdXXOxSAqQ6KW3A82BhZOxJBrtgrEexDzhXnpd5i2QKYR_KRtpe_CnKvWNPD036VIBQOqUPGQEH
M4ZV2FZt9fvY9NHA> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skitube_Alpine_Railway

Robert M

The snow looks nice Steve.
Robert

[...]

Thanks Robert - felt strange seeing snow in Oz! Incidentally, according to
our guide the entire resort and railway was built and financed privately by
Kerry Packer who Kiwis may have heard of and his rooms at the resort we were
given a sneak tour of was bigger than most people's house. It rents out for
$15,000 a night - no bookings this year surprise, surprise

Steve W

[...]

150+running

--
Steve W

Robert M

What is included in the $15k? Free ski pass? Unlimited food and drinks? Hookers?
Robert