Topics

a Sunday mystery: where and what's written

Wilson L

Edited

It's a fairly tightly cropped photo for this Sunday's mystery. The questions are where did I take this photo and what three lines of text are written on the sign?

Around this time last year I decided that over the forthcoming warmer months I'd get out and about a bit more in my own back yard and explore some of Tassie's old railways.....a sort of Rusty Rails Tasmania. The intention was there but in reality it didn't happen as I only ventured forth three times and two of those were when Glorious Leader cruised into Hobart. So for Off Topic this week here's the link to the day Steve and I had a look at the now mostly disused Derwent Valley Line:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50333240@N05/albums/72157715291611672

If you'd like a bit more info on the Derwent Valley line then Wikipedia is the place to go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derwent_Valley_Railway_(Tasmania)

At the bottom of the Wikipedia page there's an External Links section. The link entitled "Derwent Valley Railway Timetables 1944" will take you into the heart of tall timber country in Tasmania’s south, as Jim Stokes describes the trains that ran between Hobart and the industries, farms and logging camps of the Derwent Valley. I found it an interesting read.

It looks as if it'll be sometime before I'm able to leave Tasmania again so hopefully I'll manage to build on this initial Rusty Rails Tasmania posting.

Regards
Wilson

Robert M

whistle for crossing?
South Island/West Coast?
Robert

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2020 8:06 AM
To: nz-rail-geography@groups.io
Subject: [nz-rail-geography] a Sunday mystery: where and what's written

It's a fairly tightly cropped photo for this Sunday's mystery. The questions
are where did I take this photo and what three lines of text are written on
the sign?

Around this time last year I decided that over the forthcoming warmer months
I'd get out and about a bit more in my own back yard and explore some of
Tassie's old railways.....a sort of Rusty Rails Tasmania. The intention was
there but in reality it didn't happen as I only ventured forth three times
and two of those were when Glorious Leader cruised into Hobart. So for Off
Topic this week here's the link to the day Steve and I had a look at the now
mostly disused Derwent Valley Line:

If you'd like a bit more info on the Derwent Valley line then Wikipedia is
the place to go:

At the bottom of the Wikipedia page there's an External Links section. The
link entitled "Derwent Valley Railway Timetables 1944" will take you into
the heart of tall timber country in Tasmania’s south, as Jim Stokes
describes the trains that ran between Hobart and the industries, farms and
logging camps of the Derwent Valley. I found it an interesting read.

It looks as if it'll be sometime before I'm able to leave Tasmania again so
hopefully I'll manage to build on this initial Rusty Rails Tasmania posting.

Regards
Wilson

Wilson L

Good Morning Robert

No
No/No
Three no's but that means the island I took the photo in is now known.

Regards
Wilson

Wilson L

Edited

Let's try opening up the picture, which was taken earlier this year, a little more and see if that awakens the 'little grey cells'

Regards
W

Malvern

Just a stab at Nuhaka

Wilson L

Good Morning Malvern

Your stab has missed the mark but you are on the right line

Regards
W

Tony Hurst

Waikoau?

Tony Hurst

From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io <nz-rail-geography@groups.io> On Behalf Of Malvern
Sent: Sunday, 9 August 2020 10:34
Subject: Re: [nz-rail-geography] a Sunday mystery: where and what's written

Just a stab at Nuhaka

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used, published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the contents.

Wilson L

Good Morning Tony

Yourself and Malvern making me get Quail out to check just where these stations are (that this ignoramus has never heard of). Waikoau is a lot closer to the mystery station than Nuhaka but still some distance to travel.

Regards
W......who will now be offline for an hour

Trevor & Jenny Cheer

TWC
OPAPA
135.90 km

TC

From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io [mailto:nz-rail-geography@groups.io] On Behalf Of Wilson L
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2020 8:07 AM
Subject: [nz-rail-geography] a Sunday mystery: where and what's written

It's a fairly tightly cropped photo for this Sunday's mystery. The questions are where did I take this photo and what three lines of text are written on the sign?

Around this time last year I decided that over the forthcoming warmer months I'd get out and about a bit more in my own back yard and explore some of Tassie's old railways.....a sort of Rusty Rails Tasmania. The intention was there but in reality it didn't happen as I only ventured forth three times and two of those were when Glorious Leader cruised into Hobart. So for Off Topic this week here's the link to the day Steve and I had a look at the now mostly disused Derwent Valley Line:

If you'd like a bit more info on the Derwent Valley line then Wikipedia is the place to go:

At the bottom of the Wikipedia page there's an External Links section. The link entitled "Derwent Valley Railway Timetables 1944" will take you into the heart of tall timber country in Tasmania’s south, as Jim Stokes describes the trains that ran between Hobart and the industries, farms and logging camps of the Derwent Valley. I found it an interesting read.

It looks as if it'll be sometime before I'm able to leave Tasmania again so hopefully I'll manage to build on this initial Rusty Rails Tasmania posting.

Regards
Wilson

Bruce

Opapa.

Cheers,

Rev.

Sent from Mail ( https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986 ) for Windows 10

*Sent:* Sunday, August 9, 2020 10:52 AM
*To:* nz-rail-geography@groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nz-rail-geography] a Sunday mystery: where and what's written

Good Morning Tony

Yourself and Malvern making me get Quail out to check just where these stations are (that this ignoramus has never heard of). Waikoau is a lot closer to the mystery station than Nuhaka but still some distance to travel.

Regards

W......who will now be offline for an hour

Malvern

Well done Wilson nicely cropped photo.

Wilson L

Edited

Trevor has it with both station and sign.......well done. Bruce was 3 minutes later in offering the station.

Full picture attached. Opapa's a nice looking little station hopefully safely hidden away off the main road.

Regards
W

Steve W

Ah - nicely done also, there are quite a few station buildings restored on the PNGL actually

Matamau, Ormondville, Opapa, Eskdale, A pretty little one (can't find the photo or remember the name). There's bound to be one or two I've forgotten.

Also you've got all the major NZR stations barring Hastings (recently), Napier has a sort of station and Wairoa. Probably the line with the most station structures left on it outside the NIMT I'm thinking

Steve W

From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io <nz-rail-geography@groups.io> On Behalf Of Wilson L
Sent: Sunday, 9 August 2020 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [nz-rail-geography] a Sunday mystery: where and what's written

Trevor has it with both station and sign.......well done. Bruce was 3 minutes later in offering the station.

Full picture attached. Opapa's a nice looking little station hopefully safely hidden away off the main road.

Regards
W

--
Steve W