Topics

a Sunday mystery: where and what's written

Wilson L

Edited

It's a fairly tightly cropped photo for this Sunday's mystery. The questions are where did I take this photo and what three lines of text are written on the sign?

Around this time last year I decided that over the forthcoming warmer months I'd get out and about a bit more in my own back yard and explore some of Tassie's old railways.....a sort of Rusty Rails Tasmania. The intention was there but in reality it didn't happen as I only ventured forth three times and two of those were when Glorious Leader cruised into Hobart. So for Off Topic this week here's the link to the day Steve and I had a look at the now mostly disused Derwent Valley Line:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50333240@N05/albums/72157715291611672

If you'd like a bit more info on the Derwent Valley line then Wikipedia is the place to go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derwent_Valley_Railway_(Tasmania)

At the bottom of the Wikipedia page there's an External Links section. The link entitled "Derwent Valley Railway Timetables 1944" will take you into the heart of tall timber country in Tasmania’s south, as Jim Stokes describes the trains that ran between Hobart and the industries, farms and logging camps of the Derwent Valley. I found it an interesting read.

It looks as if it'll be sometime before I'm able to leave Tasmania again so hopefully I'll manage to build on this initial Rusty Rails Tasmania posting.

Regards
Wilson

Robert M

whistle for crossing?
South Island/West Coast?
Robert

[...]

Good Morning Robert

No
No/No
Three no's but that means the island I took the photo in is now known.

Regards
Wilson

Wilson L

Edited

Let's try opening up the picture, which was taken earlier this year, a little more and see if that awakens the 'little grey cells'

Regards

Malvern

Just a stab at Nuhaka

Wilson L

Good Morning Malvern

Your stab has missed the mark but you are on the right line

Regards

Tony Hurst

Waikoau?

Tony Hurst