Topics

Mystery Photo Tuesday - John Wallers

Steve W

Edited

Greetings all - I have scanned a slide from the John Wallers collection but
have no info. You will need to work on the loco and the location please

Steve W

Stewart Hall

Crossing Sarawia St on the climb to Newmarket.

Think 953 may be on its way to Te Rapa with a race train.

The track in the foreground is the stub of the line through the original Parnell Tunnel.

It was used as a backshunt to propel rolling stock into the former NZR workshops which the NZPO took over after the NZR shops moved to Otahuhu in the late 1920s.

I remember talk a couple of years ago of making the original tunnel a bike path.

Has any thing happened on that front?

Stewart

On 6/07/2020, at 8:04 AM, Steve W <stevewatts2018@...> wrote:

<Mystery Photo Tuesday July 7 2020.jpg>

Anthony Hinton

Ka953?Sent from Samsung tablet.

-------- Original message --------From: Steve W <stevewatts2018@...> Date: 06/07/2020 15:04 (GMT+00:00) To: nz-rail-geography@groups.io Subject: [nz-rail-geography] Mystery Photo Tuesday - John Wallers Greetings all - I have scanned a slide from the John Wallers collection buthave no info. You will need to work on the loco and the location please Steve W

Robert M

Steve, your letter to the editor of the ODT re Dunedin Railways was published yesterday.
Robert

Greetings all - I have scanned a slide from the John Wallers collection but
have no info. You will need to work on the loco and the location please

Steve W

Robert M

Possibly 9.5.1964 with Ka953 on D31 Te Rapa race special?
Robert

Greetings all - I have scanned a slide from the John Wallers collection but
have no info. You will need to work on the loco and the location please

Steve W

Peter Ross

Loco is Ka953.

Peter

On 7/07/2020 2:04 am, Steve W wrote:
Greetings all - I have scanned a slide from the John Wallers collection but
have no info. You will need to work on the loco and the location please

Steve W

https://www.avg.com

Bruce

Hi,
I tend to agree it is Sarawia St as well.
Cheers,
Rev.

Crossing Sarawia St on the climb to Newmarket.

Think 953 may be on its way to Te Rapa with a race train.

The track in the foreground is the stub of the line through the original
Parnell Tunnel.

It was used as a backshunt to propel rolling stock into the former NZR
workshops which the NZPO took over after the NZR shops moved to Otahuhu in
the late 1920s.

I remember talk a couple of years ago of making the original tunnel a bike
path.

Has any thing happened on that front?

Stewart

On 6/07/2020, at 8:04 AM, Steve W <stevewatts2018@...> wrote:

<Mystery Photo Tuesday July 7 2020.jpg>

Robert M

Edited

Done a little tinkering with it.
Robert

From: David Parsons
Where was the social hall, so long used by the RES for its monthly meetings.
My recollection, from 40 years ago plus, is that it was in the vicinity of the trimming, paint and tarpaulin shops. But there's nothing labelled as 'social hall'.

David

The left-most of the 4 larger buildings adjacent to 'Middleton Rd'.

TC

Allan Neilson

What a squeased-up site..

--
Steve W

Allan Neilson

From the early 1970's I remember the Newmarket Social hall as a newer building (say 30-40 yrs old then) compared to the oldest on site then (probably the old timber drying shed which by then served as the Signals &Electrical Inspectors office, signals relay repair depot, signals maintenance depot and signals sub-store on the top floor). So I guess it was built after the original workshop facilities were largely removed.

Where was the social hall, so long used by the RES for its monthly meetings.
My recollection, from 40 years ago plus, is that it was in the vicinity of the trimming, paint and tarpaulin shops. But there's nothing labelled as 'social hall'.

David

The left-most of the 4 larger buildings adjacent to 'Middleton Rd'.

TC

Steve W

Did you go to some of the RES meetings David? They were usually superb - especially when Ross Crook would run a movie and guest speakers such as "Robbie" and Euan McQueen. Then the yard bells would start ringing and some had to rush to the windows - great times!

Steve W

[...]

I probably went to about half a dozen RES meetings over the 8 years I was in Akld and interested.

Lack of public transport, a late night before a school day etc etc the reason. But I enjoyed those I did attend - a film night (Emperor of the North), a quiz night and the inevitable films.

I've been to a few NZRLS meetings in Akld in recent years and I've got a standing invitation to be a guest speaker!

DP

[...]

Since we're talking mystery photos (to keep on topic) something that has stuck in my mind about the quiz night I attended was how a mystery station name was hidden.

It was a slide show and there must have been a tiny piece of paper fixed to the slide itself blanking out the part of the image where the station nameboard was when the slide was projected onto the screen.

How the masking/cropping/cutting technology has moved on the the 40 plus years since!

David P