Greetings all - I wonder if you can identify this location in the attached
John Wallers photo attached.

There are a couple of places I've thought of - then ruled them out. I'm
hoping you can assist

Steve W

Footnote - sorry for the late arrival, I'd neglected to click the send
button last night

David Parsons

Is that a track leading to a triangle in the foreground (ought to narrow it down a bit) or to an 'industry' at right angles to the main line?

David P

On 28 May 2020 at 10:58 Steve W wrote:

Greetings all - I wonder if you can identify this location in the attached
John Wallers photo attached.

There are a couple of places I've thought of - then ruled them out. I'm
hoping you can assist

Steve W

button last night

Trevor & Jenny Cheer

Edited

-----Original Message-----
Manunui - heading toward Taumarunui.

Here's a Whites aerial showing the mill and the connection to NZR yard at
Manunui.

TC

Steve W

Edited

Waiouru Triangle David? That's what I started with but I don't think so due to the curvature in the track. I think Manunui looks close in many ways but the railway seems to be on a curve but in the aerial and to my knowledge the track is straight. I have attached a photo taken from the equivalent spot of where John has taken his photo (if in fact here?)

Steve W

From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io <nz-rail-geography@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Parsons
Sent: Thursday, 28 May 2020 9:09 AM
To: nz-rail-geography@groups.io; Steve W <stevewatts2018@...>
Subject: Re: [nz-rail-geography] John Wallers Mystery Thursday

Is that a track leading to a triangle in the foreground (ought to narrow it down a bit) or to an 'industry' at right angles to the main line?

David P
On 28 May 2020 at 10:58 Steve W wrote:

Greetings all - I wonder if you can identify this location in the
attached John Wallers photo attached.

There are a couple of places I've thought of - then ruled them out.
I'm hoping you can assist

Steve W

button last night

--
Steve W

Jenner, Ian

I agree with Trevor, Manunui heading north. The loco looks to be shunting in the yard as you can see the main & loop, & also points just in front of the loco. The line off to the right would be the one that crossed the road to Hutt Timber.
Ian Jenner

Steve W

Thanks Trevor - yes noticed that the train is coming off a yard track 3rd on to a second track, so quite interesting as maybe the train was stopped to have a look at the tram across the road if still in situ (I can't recall). I don't think that Manunui was a crossing loop at that time.

Steve W

From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io <nz-rail-geography@groups.io> On Behalf Of Trevor & Jenny Cheer
Sent: Thursday, 28 May 2020 11:34 AM
To: nz-rail-geography@groups.io

Waiouru Triangle David? That's what I started with but I don't think so due to the curvature in the track. I think Manunui looks close in many ways but the railway seems to be on a curve but in the aerial and to my knowledge the track is straight. S Steve W
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve your Ef+Ef photo is at the same location.
The "curve" that 945 is on in the J Wallers pic is a siding, not the mainline.
The mainline and crossing loop are beyond 945 and look straight enough to my eye.

There's no chance of it being the second triangle at Waiouru, as both connections were directly to the mainline. The sidings at Waiouru are/were on the opposite side of the mainline

Attached is an extract from a JM Creber Manunui pic matched to the relative portion of the skyline in the J Wallers shot.

TC

--
Steve W

Trevor & Jenny Cheer

.. I don't think that Manunui was a crossing loop at that time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve,

Manunui was the scheduled crossing place for 229 southbound Ltd and northbound 626/628 express for many years 1940's, 50's and early 60's.

TC

Allan Neilson

Edited

Correct TC, can trace an original motorized crossing loop back to 1938 as below, then resignalled in 1964 as a part of the introduction of CTC , then again in the 1980’s for electrification. …allan

From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io <nz-rail-geography@groups.io> On Behalf Of Trevor & Jenny Cheer
Sent: Thursday, 28 May 2020 6:09 pm
To: nz-rail-geography@groups.io

.. I don't think that Manunui was a crossing loop at that time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve,

Manunui was the scheduled crossing place for 229 southbound Ltd and northbound 626/628 express for many years 1940's, 50's and early 60's.

TC