From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io [mailto:nz-rail-geography@groups.io] On
Behalf Of Steve W
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 10:59 AM
To: nz-rail-geography@groups.io
Subject: [nz-rail-geography] John Wallers Mystery Thursday

Greetings all - I wonder if you can identify this location in the attached
John Wallers photo attached.

There are a couple of places I've thought of - then ruled them out. I'm
hoping you can assist

Steve W

Footnote - sorry for the late arrival, I'd neglected to click the send
button last night

David Parsons

Is that a track leading to a triangle in the foreground (ought to narrow it down a bit) or to an 'industry' at right angles to the main line?

David P

On 28 May 2020 at 10:58 Steve W wrote:

Greetings all - I wonder if you can identify this location in the attached
John Wallers photo attached.

There are a couple of places I've thought of - then ruled them out. I'm
hoping you can assist

Steve W

Footnote - sorry for the late arrival, I'd neglected to click the send
button last night

Trevor & Jenny Cheer

Edited

From: Steve W
Waiouru Triangle David? That's what I started with but I don't think so due to the curvature in the track. I think Manunui looks close in many ways but the railway seems to be on a curve but in the aerial and to my knowledge the track is straight. S Steve W
Steve your Ef+Ef photo is at the same location.
The "curve" that 945 is on in the J Wallers pic is a siding, not the mainline.
The mainline and crossing loop are beyond 945 and look straight enough to my eye.

There's no chance of it being the second triangle at Waiouru, as both connections were directly to the mainline. The sidings at Waiouru are/were on the opposite side of the mainline

Attached is an extract from a JM Creber Manunui pic matched to the relative portion of the skyline in the J Wallers shot.

TC

--
Steve W

Trevor & Jenny Cheer