Re: Leaked report: 'Give the $2m back' expert says after Manukau harbour preferred over Northland's Marsden Point port ... ("NZ Herald"):

Steve W

Yes Ian that may well be the case, however what suits business i.e. the status quo may not suit the others such as council(Port Owner still?) and real estate developers who might be wanting to build lots of expensive waterfront apartments. Common sense business requirements and other agendas may not be on the same page. Councils do seem to come up with some silly stuff at times much to the detriment of ratepayers.

As you may recall, in 2003 the then Transport Minister's right hand man told me that he'd met with Maersk who had informed the government that their preferred option, was for all of New Zealand's import/export freight to be shipped via Marsden Point. No further details were given to me unfortunately. The current government seem to want to go ahead with Marsden Point for political reasons.

So there is pull in the 4 directions I've covered in the previous 2 stanzas, Marsden Point already exists (would it need to be expanded?) and has container cranes. My preference would be to finish the upgrade of the NAL and build the short railway line to the port and let the market decide.

Steve W

-----Original Message-----
From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io <nz-rail-geography@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jenner, Ian
Sent: Tuesday, 7 July 2020 11:26 AM
To: nz-rail-geography@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nz-rail-geography] Leaked report: 'Give the $2m back' expert says after Manukau harbour preferred over Northland's Marsden Point port ... ("NZ Herald"):

I think, generally, Auckland business has made its mind up that the port should stay where it is. These reports are being commissioned by other bodies with their own agendas & values. It is totally nonsensical to suggest the port should be at Manukau, for many reasons, not least the impossibility of getting decent sized ships through the heads.The rest of NZ needs to understand that Auckland has its own dynamic & people need to accept that. It is economical stupidity to suggest moving the port anywhere at present or in the forseeable future.
Ian Jenner

--
Steve W

Join nz-rail-geography@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.